Bleaching on this staghorn?

That swing is big enough for me.
Had the same problem and lost a colony or 2 from that swing.

Your tank conditions is basicly the same is mine.
Strugling to get my mg from 1150 to 1300 and my alk is permentantly on 7 for the past 2 months.

How much do you topup each week and what is your topup water's alk?

Top-up is probably 5-8 litres per day .... and I have no idea what the Alk of the top-up RO water is (never thought to test it)

My ALK is sitting at 7.3 at the moment and I do manual dosing usinf Bicarbonate of Soda. There has been some fluctations recently (down to 6.4 last week from a high of about 8 from the week before - is that large?). I also noticed that my Mg is low (1160 vs recommended 1380 from Red Sea) so I am raising this now too.

- Could low Mg also cause this burning ?
- Will this frag ever recover or will this set in as a type of "rot" and just get worse ?
This has gotta be the cause. thats a huge shift in Alk, especially in a SPS tank. a shift of about 1 dkh is generally acceptable and will not cause any harm.

I suggest maybe splitting your Alk dosing to two or or more times a day as opposed to one large dose.

Also investing in a decent dosing pump will be great especially with SPS if you are using two/three part dosing.
MG is a bit low, get it up to around 1380 and hold it there. I doubt that this was the cause of the damage to your SPS.
Once your parameters are in check and stable, your coral should recover fully :)

Back
Top Bottom