bleached colt died

Joined
22 Nov 2008
Posts
1,185
Reaction score
7
Location
Cape Town
The bleached Colt I bought a few weeks ago has died. Basically it detached itself in stages from the rock it came with, Started to shrink and eventually broke of in pieces. This mess started floating around in my tank so I removed it immediately.

I was wondering about this practive of bleaching. Its seems so unnatural no matter how nice it looks in the tank. Should we not be frowning upon the practice:nono: by not buying this stuff. I am very guilty of this so please take my comment in that light.

That said, is it a "hit and miss" when you do buy a bleached coral, are they more suseptable to ailments ?
1392493a33f75ea0d.jpg
 
Joined
5 Jan 2008
Posts
1,976
Reaction score
41
Location
JHB
Well bleached means its already taken quite a knock and is not in good health. So more of a miss then hit ;)
 

Mike

Retired Moderator
Joined
12 May 2007
Posts
7,859
Reaction score
31
Location
the Motherland
Sometimes corals can get a light shock, caused by living under lower level lights in the lfs and being transfered into a very brightly lit tank, but if it was bleached when you got it, then it was probably past the point of surviving.
 
Joined
18 Jan 2009
Posts
110
Reaction score
2
Hi , sorry to hear about that , but when you buy a coral that is dying ,it is hard work getting it back to good health , and at the end of the day , no matter how nice it looks or how little it is or has started to bleach , in my opinion you are really wasting you hard earned cash :( , i say this only because you are behind the eight ball right from the start , and dont get me wrong there are people who can bring them back to full health. But why take the risk :)

Cheers Andrew
 

Similar threads


Top