Black silicone

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
I know you get clear marine silicone, is the black ones also called marine silicone? Haven't seen it anywhere. Do one of you guys know?

mine is called bond + seal you get it in white,grey black and clear

So the black won't give off any smells or chemicals when completely dry? I mean why did they make marine silicone in the first place, it surely must have more "fish friendly" stuff in it?

Marine silicon is mostly a branding exercise. It is pure silicon which once cured will be completely inert and reef safe.

You will not find a black silicon called "marine" anything in this contry.

Dow corning and Den Braven have something you can use. It must have an "Acetate" (I think thats the name) based curing system not "natural" and will say that its good for bonding glass and non-porous surfaces. I think Den Bravens one is called 781.

Thanks man, will check it out :thumbup:

bob is right.

but black silicone is a bit more tricky to use than the clear marine silicone(more sticky and be carefull were you put your hand, youll end up with black patches everywhere ;) )

on the contrary easier to see the blemishes that need to be removed.. can use a blade to scrape it off 100% incedently used bostick car black silicone on a customers tank at his request and have had no problems thus far...

Back
Top Bottom