Black border - Idol Tanks

If the black border is done with silicone before assembling the tank, wouldnt this.make the tank joins weaker as the silicone used to assemble only sticks to the silicone border instead of to the glass?
picture.php

I almost want to go so far and say that the section where the 2 pieces line-up are left "un-silliconed"...looking at this panel, it almost looks like there is a clear strip at the ends...where the side panels will attach..:blush:..leading me to believe that it does get silliconed to the glass....nice pic's in this Thread of their build...:biggrin:
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=38774&page=2

Last edited:
first i was almost sure but now still not sure. :lol: i zoomed that pic and it looks like there might be open glass right on the edges. then i zoomed another one and it looks like the silicone is done to the edges. i guess the only one to confirm this is IDOL. @Bob the (reef)builder :whistling: either way it looks flippen nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
first i was almost sure but now still not sure. :lol: i zoomed that pic and it looks like there might be open glass right on the edges. then i zoomed another one and it looks like the silicone is done to the edges. i guess the only one to confirm this is IDOL. @Bob the (reef)builder :whistling: either way it looks flippen nice!
:005:...well if you think about it...one will be to the end as the other one will have the "un-silliconed" strip...:blush:

:005:...well if you think about it...one will be to the end as the other one will have the "un-silliconed" strip...:blush:

hehe, i get what you say:p. It still means that the one side is a silicone surface. Also not sure how the strength will be when silicone is put on a layer of cured silicone instead of clean glass on both sides.

i guess it will be fine. Its not idols first tank :lol:

hehe, i get what you say:p. It still means that the one side is a silicone surface.
..:005:..It is...:confused1:..In my mind it's glass on glass...:blush:...hee hee then maybe it's a good thing I'm not putting it together...:p..:lol:

It's black silicone, after the join you add a border, used masking tape, I did it on my previous build thread

I made borders with tape, did the joins then made the border, then removed the tape and whoola

Back
Top Bottom