Bit of help

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Bong, 22 Dec 2011.

1. Bong

Bong

Hi everyone!

I have that invasive brown anenome..the name of which I have forgotten :)
    From what I have read, they can be controlled biologically with peppermint shrimps.

Sooo... I am looking to get hold of 1 peppermint shrimp. I am from Cape Town and will come collect and pay etc. Over the past few weeks the anenome has been spreading quite a bit so sooner the better.

Appreciate the help!

Irie mense..:thumbup::thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Rossreefer

Rossreefer

Hi, its called Aptasia. Good luck finding a peppermint at LFS. They are scarce.

4. ThaneF

ThaneF

Hi @Bong,

You are looking for "aiptasia" - your brown anenome :)
    Peperment shrimps are a hit and miss when it comes to aiptasia... maybe you'll get one that'll chow them down. There is a product called aiptasiax that people have had great success with. I use a mixture of vinegar and lemon juice in an hyperdermic needle

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. Bong

Bong Thread Starter

I phoned around the local pet stores and best i could find was a copperband. He has started nibbling around the reef from moment he was put in. Hope he decides to eat the dreaded aiptasia :)

6. ThaneF

ThaneF

Copperbands are know to eat or not eat aptasia, before you purchased the fish, did you ask if the fish was eating frozen/flake/pellet foods... copperbands are very difficult to get to eat non-live foods and are very prone to whitespot as well...

7. Annoying

Annoying

Is the copperband eating prepared foods? Do you have zoa's and xenia in the tank? How well is your pod population?

Copperbands are very hard to get to eat prepared foods, they are also semi-reef safe as they eat almost anything that resembles the anemone's like xenia corals. When the aiptasia is finished in the tank they will start to attack your copepod population. How many kg live rock do you have in the tank as this will help with copepod growth. What is your tank dimensions and do you run a dsb are algae scrubber?

Sorry about the questions but if you want to keep the copperband healthy you will have to suply it with food.

8. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

9. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA

10. Bong

Bong Thread Starter

The pet shop said they had been feeding him on frozen brine shrimp so I have that. I don't have any zoas or xenias. I have around 15kg live rock now in a 200 litre tank I am not running dsb. If i shine a torch at night I see quite a few critters on the rocks so hopefully he will eat those

11. Annoying

Annoying

But has he eaten any prepared foods in your tank?

12. Bong

Bong Thread Starter

Not yet, but he is new to the setup so give it a day or two. He is eating random things off rocks and sand now.

13. Annoying

Annoying

The best you can do is to try and get him to feed. If he doesn't eat anything by the third day I would try to get some chaeto in the sump. This will not just help with nutrients in the systme but will also give the perfect breeding ground for pods, dafe awya from the tank.

14. Bong

Bong Thread Starter

Sounds good. I should probably add some sand/mud into my sump with the skimmer but need to find out more.

I seeded my sump from someone elses marine setup and with it came lots of micro shrimp guys. I am sure they are breeding already.

Will they survive the journey through my uplift pump back into the setup?

15. Annoying

Annoying

These "micro shrimps" you talk about is what we call copepods. These guys will be the staple diet of your copperband if it doesn't start to accept prepared food. The problem is that the copperband will start to deplete the copepod population so quickly that they don't have enough chance to breed if it's not big enough. That's why I advised you to put in chaeto in the sump. It will give food suply to the copepods and the perfect enviorenment to grow and breed. These pods will then go into the tank via the return pump. The mud and sand is also very good medium for them to breed in, the main thing is the copperband will deplete only the copepods in the display tank so the sump must become the breeding station.

Recent Posts