Birdie birdie Numnums

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Nemos Janitor, 11 May 2014.

1. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

The older generation will be au fait with the Peter Sellars movie "The Party" where birdie Numnums is comical, or not. It sometimes hi-lights the creatures we keep in our glass boxes. This thread is not about the ethics and I hope does not get contaminated with views on this front, but about the observations we as reefers enjoy with interactions with our marine friends.

Let's hear stories and most importantly pic's and videos of how your fish, shrimp, coral responds to human reaction.

The purpose of this thread is to contribute to science in observation of fish and invertebrate behavior. If reefers can document behavior and deviations it would be great. Scientifically or just some quirk your inhabatents perform,. Let's hear them.:thumbup:

Last edited: 11 May 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

For some time, a year or so, I have noticed interaction between the inhabitants of my two tanks. I think this interaction needs to be recorded. I have not done so to date but will start the process this week. I am sure interesting findings/ assumptions will be interesting.

4. Bflynn

Bflynn

My marine friends only like me! If im near the tank they will swim normal, be normal and my blennie comes out of the rock work. They can also recognise the flakes container and various other things. The only thing that really gets me.........as soon as someone other than me is looking into the tank, they are staring at rocks and water! All the fish vanish!!!! When the scary person is gone they come out again.

5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor Thread Starter

Yes this is exactly what needs to be documented. Sneak some pics and do a few experiments involving anything, :thumbup: keep a log on what you are doing. Fantastic bud.

6. Aurora

Aurora

My guys do the exact same thing, with the exception of liking my wife more than me.

When she is there they speed towards her. When i feed them they are just like yea this guy again...

Don't know what the difference is? Maybe they just like the female touch.

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

nice topic...
    my fish i would like to say recognise me, they follow me around my tank, can walk around it, the minute they see the food container, they all shoot to the feeding side and wait...
    its awesome as i can hand feed all of them....

another interaction is when they hear the auto-feeder start up they all swim over to the drop zone and wait...

and people say fish have no memory...

not fish related but pet related, my dogs would only eat food that was put down and the code word said. this was to prevent poisoning with house break-ins etc

8. Aurora

Aurora

My guys also shoot towards the auto feeder when it starts to go.

Think people underestimate how quick they can learn certain behavior.

Recent Posts