Bird Wrasse (Gomphosus varius)

Reaction score
OK, I have read up about the Bird Wrasse, and I am interested.

Would like any members personal experience with this true marine oddity

p-24074-Bird-Wrasse.jpg

they are so pretty! i saw one in northlands yesterday, so cool. heard that they are not good in reef systems. not my personal info sorry warr, but thought you might want to know anyway
Posted via Mobile Device

they are so pretty! i saw one in northlands yesterday, so cool. heard that they are not good in reef systems. not my personal info sorry warr, but thought you might want to know anyway
Posted via Mobile Device

What I have read up is they are not good for small fish and inverts.

Just trying work out they mean by small :p

small, as in the fish sean doesnt like :)

i, as you know:) havent had one, but from my understanding they need decent open swimming space and are better in predator aquariums. perhaps i have this impression from seing one in likesfishes tanks, but they certainly are active swimmers, i would have though your tank a little cramped to be honest?

I had one in my 4ft for 2years, no damage to anything, but like some keep triggers in reef tanks with no harm I kept mine with inverts and corals
Posted via Mobile Device

i had one of those in my tank from small when it grew up it killed nearly every small fish i put in tank very territorial maybe i was just unlucky

Thanks for the experiences guys. It does seem to be a "hit and miss" fish, and I have fortunately got away with a couple others (trigger, puffers) so maybe I shouldn't push my luck.

give this one a miss this time.

Mine has given the tanks inhabitants no grief at all in the nearly 2 years he`s been around. They love hemits tho and due to this the crabs only `surface` at night when the wrasse is snoozing.

Cybervic has one that a client of his brought back and it's now in his JoJo drum sump with the other naughty ones! Believe he harassed the other fish and ate his shrimps...

I had one for about a year, but he was in a predator setup. Even then he became quite agressive. I used to feed hermits to my leopard eel and the bird wrasse would ram the hermits into the glass and rocks to break their shells so that he could devour them.

But as we all know each one has its own personality. IMHO I would not trust it with smaller fish or inverts.

Back
Top Bottom