Biopellets in a skimmer

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Achilles, 12 Nov 2011.

1. Achilles

Achilles

I have been thinking about this but have not tried it yet as my first experience with biopllets caused my leathers to bleach ,but if one has a good sized skimmer and put a filter bag with biopellets in the skimmer body wouldnt one get very good skimming out of the bacteria it produces? plus the removal of the nitrates and phosphates they used up in their biomass?

Any thoughts?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jaquesdp08

jaquesdp08

I think the contact time between the pellet and water might be to quick

4. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

I think it would hamper the skimming efficiency of the skimmer and the bag would clog

5. Achilles

Achilles Thread Starter

I don't think so biopellet reactors are meant to be aerobic fast flow and their effluent are meant to go into a skimmer

6. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

If this will work and not hamper the skimmers efficiency, can't you just add the pellets loose in the chamber the same as in a reactor? The water flow from the pump will tumble them and shurely the foam will not push the pellets over into the collection cup as they will be too heavy?
    If this is a stupid idea, I'll just blame the 2 black labels I had now :whistling:

7. Achilles

Achilles Thread Starter

Tobes I don't see why not but the pellets may burst bubbles if loose however in a bag the bacteria would be sloughed off and skimmed out in theory, guess someone has to try it.

Last edited: 12 Nov 2011
  8. Tremayn

Tremayn

I think that you should not skim out the mulm from the bio pellets. With zeo, you want the mulm to enter the DT as that is food for the corals.

9. Achilles

Achilles Thread Starter

The bacterioplankton is only one benefit of biopellets the main reason to use them is to skim out nitrates and phosphates bound up in the bacteria bodies itself.

10. Reefhead

Reefhead

The mulm from Zeo and from pellets is very different
    Some mulm from pellets is good for your corals but if all of it is left to feed into your tank it will build up way to much and probably wipe out your whole tank
    Pellets without a skimmer= BIG no no (if you dont believe me search for it on places like reef central where people have tried it)
    Also without a skimmer pellets are not effective as the skimmer is what takes out the nitrates and phosphates (short version of a long story)

irie ivan likes this.
  11. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Think bacteria on substrate scavengeing carbon from water, vs bac feasting on substrate being carbon... Some similarities, but not same, except maybe for results, which are similar enough to qualify as the same.

12. Achilles

Achilles Thread Starter

I really don't see a reason why it wouldn't work unless it does upset bubble formation in the skimmer for some reason but I think it would maybe make it skim more not less!

13. Tremayn

Tremayn

Yeah lol, you have to have a decent skimmer :) .. Ok so biopellet mulm is different, I learnt something new today

14. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

mmm interesting.. what about placing them i them below/within the bubble plate? the waterflow/air-mixture in would still be the same... the reacton and protein bond still would occur the same as always and then it would stop the problem of the pellets potentially breaking the protein bond with thw bubbles??

thoughts?

15. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

giveitago

16. Yuri

Yuri

It will be better to have a external skimmer with a feed pump that let the water first go true the pn pellet reactor first before it gets to the skimmer

Last edited: 13 Nov 2011
  17. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

I stopped using np pellets as I too had some coral bleeching also got algal blooms ending up with briopsis but maybe the skimmer I used back then was kind of crappy. I bought a grotech hea150 soon after that but kept the pellets out.

Sean if I kept the pellets clean & dry since last year would they still be ok to use again? I like this idea & would like to give this idea of yours a shot but don't want history to repeat itself again.

18. SchyffS

SchyffS Reef Aquarist

As above this is also how i understand it.

The mulm from ZEO stops amonia from being converted to No2...its not a source of carbon.
    The bio pellets imo is a source of carbon and therefore is perfect when fed into a skimmer. But i think its only well balanced when you also feed bacteria to feed on the carbon and multiply and then get skimmed out. So perhaps it needs a 'safe' place to feed and multiply first before skimmed out.
    My geuss is that dumping some into the skimmer isnt a bad idea, but also not the best idea, i would go for the quarter dose as a start and perhaps put as much bio pellets in the skimmer as would ensure there is good tumble and that its not too dense inside the skimmer. As long as you have sufficient aeration and water surface agitation(CO2 and O2 exchange) in your tank then the bacterial bloom wont starve your tank of oxygen, lack of oxygen will also cause bleaching and algae to grow as they wanna create an equilibrium between Co2 and O2.....emmm, am i making sense? LOL

You can just remove if it has negative effective.

Last edited: 13 Nov 2011
Recent Posts