Biopellet reactor plumbing question

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by Apollo, 22 Dec 2015.

1. Apollo

Apollo

Just a quick question :

For those of you that run a biopellet reactor, have you plumbed this directly into your skimmer ?
    My sump is a little cramped and I have the pellet reactor next to the skimmer ( see pic below). The overflow from the reactor is presumably taken up by the skimmer, however some of it does also flow over into the rest of the sump. Anything to be concerned about ?

upload_2015-12-22_11-46-58.png

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

that should not be an issue.

4. Apollo

Apollo Thread Starter

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

The reactor does not need to stand in same compartment as the skimmer. As long as the outlet from reactor runs via flexible hose back to skimmer intake.

6. Apollo

Apollo Thread Starter

Problem is that this is a little Bubble Magus Mini 60 reactor. No plumbing on the overflow, unless I DIY this.
    Another issue is that the baffle plates in the sump are at the same height. Even if I did plumb the overflow from the reactor to the skimmer compartment, some of the overflow will still go into the rest of the sump before it can be skimmed. This is maybe something to consider for the new year : Changing the baffle plate heights in the sump and plumbing the reactor overflow to the skimmer compartment.

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

what are you planning fr the middle compartment?

8. Apollo

Apollo Thread Starter

The middle compartment is housing LR. The pic in this thread was taken before I finished the sump layout.
    Sump dimensions are approx 610 x 350 x 350 . I already had to move the baffle plates a bit to accommodate the NW110 skimmer which has a large footrpint. Mid compartment currently has around 8kg's of LR. Whilst I will look at DIY'ing some plumbing for the reactor as Riaan suggested, I can't see this making a difference with the current setup (i.e. baffle plates at the same height)

9. Apollo

Apollo Thread Starter

Just to clarify: The skimmer and pellet reactor sit in the same compartment at present. Overflow from the reactor is close to the intake pump on the skimmer, but since water is flowing from skimmer compartment to LR compartment to return pump compartment (due to the baffle plates being the same height) , some of the overflow from the reactor is also going all over the sump. My concern therefore is that the bacterial "waste" is also circulating through to the DT

Recent Posts