Bio vital friend or foe ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by dawie121, 9 Sep 2016.

1. dawie121

dawie121

Hi so i have got this product its called Bio vital and ive heared that it does work exstremly well and makes your tank exstremly healthy ive used it in freshwater aquruims before and it worked very well in keeping the tank healthy and happy ive seen that some people say that it is one of the best proucts and that it did miricles for them however when it comes to saltwater i saw and heard that it removes the salt from the aquaruim and then when you get back to the aquaruim all of the salt is on the outside ,i really want to use this product because i have seen all of its benifits but if it revoves the salt from my tank its not worth it ,I have heard people using teachniques to avoid this from happening but my question is is this product entirely reef save and is there a teachnique to use to avoid this salt removing disaster from happening would love to hear your comments on this product if anybody knows it thanks 20160909_121635[1].jpg 20160909_121723[2].jpg 20160909_121800[1].jpg

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. 3dd

3dd

I wouldn't trust that, the warning label says "do not add salt to any system that contains any significant amount of bio vital".

Don't understand how it can say it's for marine and fresh water, but then warn about adding salt.

There are other bacteria supplements that you can add which are reef safe - BioDigest, Special Blend etc.

IMO I would rather stick too known additives which have proven themselves as reef safe

4. dawie121

dawie121 Thread Starter

Yeah,you do have a point i have comsidered to use it because it is cheap ,I have also heard of people mixing it in a 2 litre coke bottle letting it settle and then some of the powerder sits on the botom and then just using the water as the powder sits on the bottom it would not harm the salt , if this is entirly true i dont know and it would be a rather high risk using it but i do want to find a bit more information about it

5. 3dd

3dd

Might not be the best thing to save money on. A bottle of special blend is around R250 for 437ml, and should last quite some time. So might be a safer bet

6. dawie121

dawie121 Thread Starter

when you compare the price I bought this one for around R60 bucks and it treats 4000 litres compared to special blend and when you compare the benifits against special blend well then it would look like a real bargain but again i would wonder if it is really trustworthey

7. 3dd

3dd

What I would be wondering is how the bacteria stays alive in the jar. Is the clay compound wet?

At the end of the day one needs to ask what we want too achieve. Bacteria come in many forms, and if you have live rock in the tank there should be loads already. As for water conditioning, I'd be skeptical as to what is being conditioned. Reef tanks are very finely tuned environments and adding unknowns into the tank might come back to haunt you later on

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Who knows whats in that. How can it be safe for salt water, yet it says dont add salt to a system when using the product?

9. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

It seems like a version of Special blend. Maybe rather use that.

10. dawie121

dawie121 Thread Starter

11. dawie121

dawie121 Thread Starter

its like a powder but its not wet

12. dawie121

dawie121 Thread Starter

Id actually try and contact them to find out more cause i see there is a Tell number on the bottle and that it comes from sandton aquatic centre ? anybody know this place?

13. dawie121

dawie121 Thread Starter

what i do want to acieve from it is by eliminating Ammonia Nitrite and toxic gases and then doing a bit less waterchanges by using a product like this

14. 459b

I noticed it is registered under act 36 of 1947. Checking the reg number brings up a product, made by a different company, which is an algicide

15. 459b

Active ingredients in other product are:
    Active ingredients: 2, 4-D sodium salt (phenoxy compound) 20,8 g/kg, Diuron 10,64 g/kg, Ametryn 6,4 g/kg

16. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I used it back my freshwater days and it did clear up the water very well. Ati makes a similar product, also called vital i think. I dont think you can compare it to special blend.

3dd and r0ckf1re like this.
  17. dawie121

dawie121 Thread Starter

Yes i found exsacly the same product its called ATI easy vital should do the same and is a much better option

Recent Posts