Bio pellet reactor

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by raytone, 3 Oct 2011.

1. raytone

raytone Raytone

I need info on the bio pellet reactor. Is the reactor sufficient enough for the tank or do you need a deep sand bed. Someone told me that the reactor is very dangerous to the system and will give a lot of problems. I am worried because, i've got the reactor only. Please help me on this one!:1:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

You dont "need" a sand bed , lots of guys run systems without them. Have you got a skimmer ?

4. moe101

moe101

ive seen it work at dorry's .and it works super without a DSB...ofcourse u gota have a skimmer

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

actually a DSB is not recommended with NP pellets.. You should just have the reactor and a good efficient skimmer

6. raytone

raytone Thread Starter Raytone

Yes i've got a TS1 Reeftek skimmer, so i don't have to worry?

7. Reefhead

Reefhead

What size system do you have?

8. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

@raytone

the basics are:

• a skimmer rated to 30% more than your total system volume.
    • DSB not a must to have
    • and basically 100ml per pellet per 100lt water.. added slowly and over about 2 to 3 additions..
    • the use of a phosphate sponge/media is still advised..
    • make sure all the pellets are tunbling and NOT clumping
    • make sure that the pellets effluent water is plumbed near to the skimmer inlet, the by product mulm from the pellets needs to be skimmed out
    • and make sure that the pellets always have water flowing through them.. they can withstand a poweroutages if less than 6 -8 hours BUT it may be necessary to wash them in SW if the outages goes on for longer than 8 hours.
    get the correct bio pellet reactor as it will assist in taking alot of the headace out of running this system...

a full on debate can be found here: N/P Pellets DOES work! - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

please be careful when using bio pellets and rather be cautious than hasty..

you will more than likely experience an algal bloom if you add too many pellets at once so the slow addition thing is a must..

NOTE: if you have a high nitrate/phos content it is also likley that your water will remain murky untill these nutrients are consumed by the pellets..

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Tremayn

Tremayn

I have read that DSB's reduce the effectiveness or even completely negate the effect of NP pellets (when using NP pellets in a system with a dsb already) .. I dont recommend mixing filtration methods as the redfield theory is also something to consider (ratio in which bacteria uses carbon:nitrate:phosphate)

With the skimmer you are looking for something with a pin wheel impellar and a bubble plate. The TS range are good skimmers but more suited for a more biological type of filtration (lots of LR, ATS etc)

10. raytone

turkey blaster

[​IMG]

I bought this thing today for R10-00, by a medical supplies company and it's about 30cm long

11. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

...:eek:...I've been searching my a$$ off for a Turkey Baster...the 30cm one...!!!

Have you got back-up when you get hit with no power..? Asking as I'm sure, if I remember correctly, that you will have sulphur problems with the NP Pelletts if the bio balls don't tumble..or something like that...wow..I better go double check..:blush:
    PS: found it... N-P nitrate and phosphate reducing bio pellets - Page 3 - Marine Aquariums of South Africa #57

Last edited: 4 Oct 2011
  12. FransSny

FransSny

Belinda , speak to Dave @Perky Pets . When I was there the other day they had a pack of different sizes (sml to large) maybe worth shipping

13. belindamotion

Would a Chemist sell it..?..probably don't stock it in the Shop, but maybe they use it and I could ask if I could buy it...? Maybe my Dr..?

14. moe101

moe101

so basically a bio pallet reactor and a DSB together would be a super way to go ?
    and where in the sump is the best place to have the bio pallet reactor fitted ?

can a bio pallet reactor do the work of all 3: DSB,cheato and phosphate reactor ?

15. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

to an extent and in theoy, YES..... It will absorb phos and nitrate and to an extent ammonia and nitrite aswell.. BUT it is recomended that a phos reactor be run in conjunction with this method of filtration

Last edited: 4 Oct 2011
  16. raytone

Belinda the chemist don't sell it and they all said that they don't know where to get it. I tried that. I got a back-up generator for the system so as soon as the power goes off my generator kicks in. so try dory's or find a medical supply store.

17. belindamotion

Never thought it would be so difficult to get a Turkey Baster..:p..Hmmm Medical Supply Store..might know of a Shop that sells Medical Supplies..;)..if not I'll order one thru the mail..just sounds silly for something that is 10 bucks...:lol:

Recent Posts