bio load advice

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by luke mac, 7 Feb 2011.

1. luke mac

luke mac

hi all i have a 450l +- display tank.

The sump: holds 200L +- i have a aqua medic 1000 turbofloter skimmer, dsb, live rock, a canisterfilter with carbon and phosphate remover.

The display has 30 to 40kgs of live rock,two 3000l wave makers.
    The tank has been running for 1year now! :thumbup:

i would like to know how many fish i can have with a fully reef tank of corals, more soft corals than sps ect.

Fish i now have:
    1 marron clown
    1 sail fin tang
    1 royal grammer
    3 goldies
    1 peacock wrasse
    1 blue spotted tamerine wrasse
    1 queen coris (fomosa) wrase if he comes out of the sand(new member been a week now)
    1 dusky chelub
    1 purple fire fish
    1 cromis

total 12

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Rule of thumb is normally about 22lt of water for every 01cm of fish ;)..

But there is more to this calculation wrt specific fish, eg Tangs, Surgeons etc

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

Another thing that is important with bio-load calculations is the total water surface area. This determines the amount of water in contact with air and affects the amount of oxygen that will be able to be transfered to the water.

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

Maybe add some macro algae to eat up some nutrients :)

6. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

Hi.I believe the more fish you keep the higher the dayly amount of ammonia will be excreted by the fish and feeding of them.If you have enough biometerial to cope with the dayly ammonia and the species arent frustrated by each others close proximity you can increse your stocks.But if youy are wanting a reef tank , i wouldnt go anymore fish,( o.k mayby a few more chromis /firefish and a flame angle ) just start with the leathers , mushroom ect which dont put too much waist into the tank, if this was a fish only system, make sure your lighting is up to scratch for the corals you want to keep.P.S make sure you test nitrate - corals are more susseptible to it than the fish your keeping.Good luckDavid

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Feb 2011
  7. Manic

Manic Moderator

Another thing to consider with stocking is that when the power goes out your tank will be able to last longer without power if there is less fish.

Recent Posts