Bio filtration against DSB

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by PeterL, 26 Apr 2010.

1. PeterL

PeterL

This one could be quick and painless to answer - maybe not, I will give my best to keep this as short as possible but make myself understood correctly.

We hear of DSB's and Refugiums and all the cool stuff that goes with it all, then we hear about the Nano tanks which use filter matter (coarse sponge) and ceramic rings and maybe a bad of phosphate remover or nitrate remover (granuals in a bag).

Why is it, simply a question out of curiosity, that we can't do that very same thing but on a larger scale for a large tank and it only seems "acceptable" practice on a nano...Some Nano's run for years with that filtration and have zero problems - in my logical theory without going into much thought, one should be able to just make a very big one of those relative to the DT size and it too should run fine. However in practice, haven't done it myself, but in practice apparently that is a bad thing to do on a large system.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

The first thing we do with nanos is remove the bioballs/ ceramic rings etc. We remove the sponge or clean it every other day. Some add extra liverock in the back to aid in filtration and others use chemicals or a combination of both. I for instance run some extra liverock in the back with some purigen and seagel. The purigen bag is rated for a tank 10 times the volume of the nano so it will last quite a while. You can do the same thing for big systems but it will just cost a whole lot more.

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

I just just set up my nano as it was designed. Why should one want to change the designed filter system? Do a weekly 15l water change along with a glass and gravel clean. All is good. Got a few softies and loads of different mushrooms doing their thing for about 2.5 years now along with a lovely mandarin, two young false percs, a ferry wrasse , 3 chromes, juvenile yellow wrasse a few hermits, 3 fire gobies, loads of bristle worms and a teddy crab. :) We also have decorative algae thriving.

I am in the process of compiling a thread of alternative ways of setting up systems. Please be patient PIC's, and the history of various tanks, will be posted in good time.

5. PeterL

PeterL Thread Starter

It seems other than doing serious maintanance like water changes and constant cleaning - taing the process from a nano system and enlarging it to suit the volume in a larger tank should then work? Crazy maintanance, but by theory so far - no reason it wont work.

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

today's outdated methods were once cutting edge technology. it totally pees me off when a person does something one way as if it is the only way to do something and if you suggest another way you are an idiot. sometimes finances means that you haveto resort to cheaper methods that take work but get similar results. i have read books in the local library that have marine tanks with undergravel filters, have good old bushy caluerpa and some happy fish. also you have people that feel that if you dont have actinics making your tank look like the inside of a disco you are dilly! or only mh will work for sps or mandarins cannot go in a nano and survive. mine was in a 38l nano for nearly a year! what i am saying is experiment, listen to advice and choose your own road!

Mauritius-aquarist likes this.
  7. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

I have to second that, Glen.
    Especially the second sentence!

mandarinman likes this.
  8. mandarinman

mandarinman

walking on the wild side marcel ,no cash is the mother of all invention!

9. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Haha Glen, I have to second that, too.:)

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Zombie Clam - you can of course do this without problems. BUT, it does take a LOT more effort and a much more strict maintenance regime, if you want to try and keep a big tank, like you keep a nano.

A DSB, algae scrubber/refugium, and a big skimmer, are the best methods which are the least maintenance - and gives you a LOT of "safety factors" built in...

Where-as other methods of filtration will indeed work - but, have been proven that it can "crash" too quickly and requires a lot of maintenance.

11. roderigo

roderigo

I all methods have pros and cons to them and on top of that one type of filtration may work better in combination with anther but I think there are a lot of factors to think of when choosing one like tank size maintenance cost and what you what to achieve like me I like the natural way of things that is why in opting for the dsb and Cryptic zone its all about preference just IMO hope this helps

12. Tony

Tony

I have personally always kept my tanks as simple as possible with no DSB, ATS, refugium ok maybe a few rocks in the sump for pods to hide in with no nutrient problems. I do run mesh bags and GAC for machanical filtration and DOC adsorption, I skim heavily and dose with probiotics and carbon for nutrient reduction. I have very little live rock in my tank with the bulk of it being base rock.

A started with the bio pellets becasue the vodka dosing was giving me cyano problems but I am going back to vodka and yanking out those pellets as the cyano has gone away.

So the point I am trying to make is that DSB's arent necessary and simply run systems can work.

Last edited: 16 Jun 2011
  13. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

Hmmm, i was always under the impression that DSB's were part of a 'simply run' system, have had mine running for about 8 yrs now and never had an issue with nitrate, besides the initial expence it hasn't cost me a cent. The initial expence also wasn't very much as i use silica sand.

14. Tony

Tony

Maybe I should call it ultra simple:)

15. Seabass

Seabass

Looking forward to this.

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

:) A lot has changed since that post and the nano was shut down and the stock moved to one of my other tanks.

In the nanos place now stands my three foot tank run on two Ehime canister filters. No skimmer. No DSB. No scrubber.

While i was in Egypt ADVdiver took down my six foot (360l) softy's tank and put a bigger six foot (900l) tank in it's place. This tanks filter is bio-balls and ceramic rings. Skimmer is a Deltec 851 and two reactors are employed. One for PO4 and the other for Nitrate.

Most of my other tanks have been shut down in preparation for a planed 7500l tank that just never seems to get started.

Recent Posts