Bio-cubes vs bio-pellets????

Awvince

Here fishie fishie
Reaction score
Hello,

I need some info on Bio-cubes and Bio-pellets.

Who has used both of them?

Which one is better for large aquariums, say over 2500litres of water.

Are there alternatives that work as good, is there a more natural method that could be implemented?

Oh another question, would bio-pellets/cubes have adverse affects on clams as they also filter from the water?

Thanks

Last edited:
Ive used Bio-cubes. They worked fine, but are a bit expensive these day. I have since switched to vinegar which is dirt cheap and has given me excellent results

I use to have bio Tubes but really started to hate them coz they collect kak.
I belive floating bio balls are much better.
Easier to clean the bottom of the sump.
I run bio balls, Matrix and LR in my sump.
But that's my preference

I prefer pellets, the cubes need to be run with a air stone in the sump, and I hated all the salt creep that occurred from this.

Tried various DIY reactors etc, and gave up. New ank running on pellets again

Ive used Bio-cubes. They worked fine, but are a bit expensive these day. I have since switched to vinegar which is dirt cheap and has given me excellent results

Does the vinegar work on the same principle as the bio-pellets/cubes? Do you also need to skim heavy?

Oh another question, would bio-pellets/cubes have adverse affects on clams as they also filter from the water?

Does the vinegar work on the same principle as the bio-pellets/cubes? Do you also need to skim heavy?

Cubes/viniger/sugar/np pellets are all just forms of carbon dosing, so yes it's the same thing, except I thing that orca never said what's inside the cubes, but one can assume it's some form of carbon.

Cubes/viniger/sugar/np pellets are all just forms of carbon dosing, so yes it's the same thing, except I thing that orca never said what's inside the cubes, but one can assume it's some form of carbon.
So it would be pointless running that and Carbon ?

Yes it is. I find with liquid dosing, you have more control as to how much you dose. With solid forms you dont really know how much is getting used. Also with Cubes, the surface area changes with time so mount available also changes.

So it would be pointless running that and Carbon ?
Activated Carbon plays a different role (polishing the water, removing certain harmful things), so can still be run while dosing a carbon source.

biocubes is super easy but gets expensive. needs a airstone to run
biopelletts also not cheap to run, but needs a reactor and needs to be on backup. pellets suppose to tumble 24/7

carbon dosing i tried them all. vinager, vsv, sugar, vinager + glucose you name it. All work if you get to right amount to dose. Very painstaking process but once you figure out how much to dose it works like a charm.

Last edited:
Dexter said:
carbon dosing i tried them all. vinager, vsv, sugar, vinager + glucose you name it. All work if you get to right amount to dose. Very painstaking process but once you figure out how much to dose it works like a charm.

Can you overdose on carbon? What effect does it have on the tank? And what is the right amount?

Last edited by a moderator:
Dexter said:

Can you overdose on carbon? What effect does it have on the tank? And what is the right amount?

Yes you can definitely overdose, worst case you get a bacterial bloom that will suck all the oxygen out the water and kills everything in the tank.

Usually you end up with cyano for some time while the beneficial bacteria colony builds.

Last edited by a moderator:
The right amount differs from tank to tank. Basically there are carbon dosing tables available on the net and one needs to follow it. You keep increasing your dose every week untill you see your no3 and po4 drop.

Back
Top Bottom