bio cubes in a biopellet reactor

Reaction score
hi just want to know if i can do this and also use the gfo from ocra with the cubes

thanks

Hi,

yes you can use GFO with cubes
i wouldnt recommend using the cubes in a reactor, but you can, it will need large amounts of air @Express Reef will confirm the reactor part

Last edited by a moderator:
What is GFO?

Granular Ferric Oxide, the same as your antiphos and rowa phos. It's the chemical name

You also get GFH which is granular ferric hydroxide which is stronger

well they both should actually be called Granular Iron Oxide Hydroxide, one is wet and one is dry, but for our use they normally supply the same...

we use GFH for arsenic removal, so maybe i was mistaken when it comes to reefing as most companies supply the Granular Iron Oxide Hydroxide and market it differently, RHF let me know

RHF reply
The bottom line: Would I use GFO to export phosphate? The answer is a qualified yes. Phosphate is such a significant problem for reef aquaria that it should be kept appropriately low (less than 0.03 ppm) in some fashion. There are many ways to minimize the accumulation of phosphate. In my own reef, I prefer to use skimming, carbon, and macroalgae growth to export phosphorus. If these are unsuited to a particular setting, then perhaps GFO is an appropriate alternative.

The cubes can be used in a reactor, the secret is just to prevent any strong direct flow onto the cubes as that blows out the yeast bacterial food source & wont work anymore...
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=41684
Have a look at this thread, i built a special reactor for the cubes with a very small via-aqua (400l/h) pump with an airline which i feed with a airpump into the pumps ventury outlet.
It really works like a bomb!
Nitrates from 2 to undetectable in under 2 weeks!

should i sell my pellet reactor and get some cash and make a bomb for the cubes

any suggestions and also who runs a Super Reef Octopus XP skimmer and especially the XP1000

should i sell my pellet reactor and get some cash and make a bomb for the cubes

any suggestions and also who runs a Super Reef Octopus XP skimmer and especially the XP1000

The simple answer is... The bomb method works, & it works extremely well. The biopellet reactor was designed & built with high flow output to keep pellets churning. The cubes require a very gentle flow with high amounts of bubbles over them, & the biopellet reactor simply cannot provide that!

yeah i agree

would have to make a special reactor

not really convinced by the pellets and they do need the reactor

with the bomb does it have to be next to the skimmer i presume

the reason i liked the reactor as i could control the output right next to the reactor

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks

think I'm going to do the bomb method right next to the skimmer and the sell the biopellet reactor

thanks for the help

depends on which reactor and if they were the only things in it, it COULD work, you will still need the airstone

mine is a jns shark reactor. its has a screw at the top you can remove and push air line pipe down and let the airstone lay at the bottom under the zeo chamber

i tried np pellets befor on a diferent tank didnt work then. i would lik to see wht the bio cubes does. im currently using zeo's but its to much work and money

Back
Top Bottom