Bigger skimmer, less liverock?

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by gaboon, 20 Dec 2010.

1. gaboon

gaboon

I've added a skimmer rated much higher than my tank. Nitrates were only around 5 before so can I remove some liverock now?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. magman

magman

LR has all the biological bacteria, which your skimmer does not have, they are differant kinds of filtration,

If you have too much, then just remove the LR, but only if there is too much

4. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Thanks magman. Will remove a bit and monitor.

5. Jinx

Jinx

A skimmer doesn't have much effect on nitrates so I would leave the live rock in....the more the better.

6. crispin

crispin

im a firm believer in the vallue of biological filtration, yet i also believe in having an over rated skimmer to remove waste as early as possib;le before it starts breaking down. Personally id leave in as mych LR as my aquascape would allow and if possible id add in a remote rock bed to keep as much (or indeed increase the amount of) LR as possible.

i would add the skimmer and keep the LR, personally

7. Tremayn

Tremayn

If you want to remove LR from the display then place it in your sump. Never can have too much LR :p ..

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I have to agree with Crispin here. You gotta have a decent balance of Biological and Mechanical filtration, not forgetting chemical as well. So I say do not remove your Live Rock, keep it balanced. But at the same time, you dont want too much to over crowd the tank and restrict flow and swimming space.
    Look at it this way, you can keep a tank alive without a skimmer but not without decent quality and quantity LR.

9. magman

magman

Gaboon, maybe post pics of the amount you got, the more LR the better as long as there is flow through out and it is not trapping anything, but I have a feeling you asking cause you got too much?

Maybe sump it.

10. Monti

Monti

Live rock is the cats pyjamas and is the most important piece of filtration in a tank. That said I do think that there is a balance. You can have too much live rock, which then restricts flow, causes detritus buildup etc. Im a proponent of the "less is more" philosophy with live rock. Rather go for less live rock, but make sure that it is quality, and ensure that this rock is "serviced" by adequate movement, thus making the most use of the rock.

11. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

any1 remembered The formosa forest 1? and the amount of LR that leonardo had in that tank? very very little but huge colonies of SPS. u can get away with little LR if you can compensate elswhere

12. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Should have mentioned I'm dosing bacteria and a carbon source. I've got about 65kg's of quality LR in total. Tank is approx 600L

13. Monti

Monti

Exactly dude. Some modern techniques (ie carbon dosing etc) really does mean you really do not need nearly as much live rock as used to be thought. A lot of overseas tanks really rely on far less rock than used to be recommended... and to be frank, they look awesome. They just compensate (understatement) by carbon dosing or whatever.

So gaboon, IMO you really can get away with a lot less rock as long as you make up for it in your tank husbandry and maintenance (I reckon you could realistically cut your rock in half or so if thats the look you want for your tank). At the end of the day, its the parameters that matter, not how you achieve these...

Last edited: 20 Dec 2010
  14. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

monti summed it up. gaboon do a google search for formosa forest and see what comes up on reef central.

15. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

I remember that tank. I'm not going for the minimalist look, just want to free up some space.

I bought the bigger skimmer for the bacteria carbon dosing so will remove some LR and see how it goes.

Thanks for all the feedback.

16. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i think there is more to it than asking if you can remove rock nik,

what kind of rock is it? meaning dense (for nitrate removal) or thin servicing ammonia and nitrite) i think you can then consider if you have enough filtration through other methods IE carbon dosing or denitrator or another type of aerobic filtration method you can make a better decision on where you are and what the possible outcome will be..

hope im making sence :)

the bigger skimmer will most definatley be to your advantage. but biological is a stabalising/ neutralizing factor vs the extraction method of a skimmer.

17. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Making perfect sense Les, I've only removed about 5kg's. Now that you ask I may have quite a bit more dense LR.

18. gaboon

gaboon Thread Starter

Been meaning to get an ammonia and nitrite test done just for reassurance.

Recent Posts