Bigger or smaller return pump

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by ziguri, 23 Feb 2015.

1. ziguri

ziguri

Hi guys, sorry if this is a dumb question... but i currently have 2 working return pumps in my possession. I was running a 2700 l/h up until yesterday when i decided to test a 3500 l/h to see if my overflow could handle it (Which it does) So my question is, would it be better to have the stronger or weaker pump in operation. Id think the bigger pump would be better, but would the slower pump allow more time for the water in the sump to get skimmed properly + move slower through the UV sterilizer etc? Which in your guys opinion would be the better option. Regarding the skimmer i am running, i am not 100% sure on the exact model, but the Reef Octopus Diablo DCS-150 seems about right (Max flow is 237gph). My tank is about 450 liters total volume. From the overflow, water first goes through filter sock, then is skimmed in the first sump. It is then transferred over to the other sump, where it is pumped first through the UV, then into a biopellet reactor and back into the tank.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

biopellet reactor outlet should go back to the skimmer. Not directly into the tank.

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

What size UV and what is its suggested flow rate?

loven likes this.
  5. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

I can confirm later if im wrong, but i think the UV flow rate = 60 liters per minute Ultra Zap

I have the 15 watt, ill confirm later (might be the 30 watt) Based on this i guess the bigger pump is perfect right? (the 3500 l/h pump vs the 3600 l/h uv)

Regarding the biopellet reactor pumping into the skimmer, how can this be achieved? Can i use a second pump just for the Reactor into the skimmer, seperate from my actual return pump, or is this just going to upset the whole balance?

Last edited: 23 Feb 2015
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

For pellet reactor a second pump. Or alternatively if you have a big return pump, split its return and use on the line going to the reactor a ball valve to regulate the flow through it.

7. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

If i may ask, what is the reason for the reactors outlet to go into the skimmer.. and why its incorrect to let it go straight into the tank? The reason im asking is because i was told that the biopellet reactor produces or lets out some sort of essential/beneficial bacteria which the skimmer removes from your water. Thanks :) Has it something to do with the biopellets absorbing nitrates/phosphates which are then removed by skimming or something of the sort?

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Exactly, now why take a long path to get that water to your skimmer? Via your display and possibly were the stuff you want the skimmer to remove, have it settle in the display?

9. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Thanks, makes sense.. cheers :m106:

10. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

Just wanted to say thanks again for pointing this out to me, I had a battle with phosphates recently and since I have connected it like you said my phosphates down to almost zero within a week ... Nitrates at 10 but dropping steadily... Cheers

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Big pleasure.

That is why we have MASA.

To help each other. To the benefit of the fish and corals.

ziguri likes this.
  12. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

I've stopped using biopellets for a while now but was thinking of starting to use it again since I am running just some phosguard in my reactor currently, problem is that I changed my setup a bit and my reactor is no longer going back to the skimmer, but it is going first through uv sterilizer and then into a refugium . Would it be ok to add biopellets and have it flow into the refugium to help with refugium algae growth or will this just cause more algae in my display as well? , or would it actually even hamper algae growth in the refugium?

Last edited: 22 Jul 2015
  13. Richard01

Richard01

Is it necessary to run a all in one biopellet reactor into a filter sock then through the skimmer?

14. ziguri

ziguri Thread Starter

I don't think a filter sock would make any difference specifically with regards to the reactor . Most people say that it should be plumbed straight to skimmer but some say it is not necessary. I guess plumbing to the skimmer is the best way , I was just wondering whether it would work if I directed it at refugium instead of skimmer

Recent Posts