Big fright, luckily everything is ok!

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by pom, 8 Oct 2012.

1. pom

pom

Hi, I am quite new here and so I am still learning how the whole marine thing work.

We went away for Saturday around 11am and fed the fish before we left. Being used to tropical fish and feeding them only once a day and leaving them without food for a day they were fine.

I am feeding my marine fish twice a day and when we got back home yesterday round about 8pm all the fishes look in a bad way, having done a water change just before we left on Saturday, I thought this must be the cause but did a quick check on the parameters and everything seemed fine.

My pair of false percs were looked tired and looked like they just swam to Cape Town and back, the dottyback didnt come out of his hiding place for about 20 minutes after we got back and the worst of the lot was the yellow tail damsel, he just drifted around with the current and finally just lay on the ground at the entrance of the dottyback's cave and after a while he just drifted into the cave, normally the is no chance in hell that the dotty would allow the damsel even get close to his rock...

So the only logical thing I could think of is that they are hungry and so I gave them some food and hoped for the best but this morning I got up every thing was 100% again, even the damsel that I thought was a gonner looked as if nothing was wrong :thumbup:

So I figure that they were just very hungry or they got extremely lonely while we were gone......

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. NADEEM

NADEEM

lets hear what the experts say about this, but i highly doubt the fish were very hungry.
    i feed my fish once a day, there are many times i miss a day and fish are totally fine.
    glad to hear that everything is ok now though, good luck

4. crispin

crispin

Hi pom, welcome to masa its good to have u here:)

Its sounds like you have had a very lucky escape and that your tank was in a bad way for a while. I am afraid to say its VERY unlikely caused by your fish being hungry. What you Describe is almost certainly caused by environmental factors (ie water conditions) and i think its to do with the water change. I would guess There has been a lack of oxygen for a while and thats caused the fish to swim poorly, but i urge you to do water tests when you Get home as i dont think you will be out the woods just yet. Be sure to check SG (with a refrectometer if at all possible) and temp, but i would do a full range of tests to be sure.

Have u seen the dotty back again?

5. crispin

crispin

I just had a look at some of your pics and sees like a pretty nano tank:) how many l is the tank? I would watch that banded boxing shrimp you have, he may Go for sleeping fish in a small tank.

Do you have a sump? I couldnt tell from my iPad? If you do id sugest moving the heater down there, if not what filtration system dose the tank have ? Do u have a skimmer?

6. pom

pom Thread Starter

Thanks crispin, I don't have a refractometer but I do have and hydrometer and the SG is the same as before I did the water change, I make quite sure that the SG is fine before I add the new water so I don't think its that, now that you say the temp, when I checked last list it was a bit higher than normal at 27 normally it was about 24-26 but 1deg should make a dif or should it? Does anyone know if there was a power outage on Saturday or Sunday in the centurion area?

7. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

You may have had a power failure?

Or you may have over filled the tank and the trickle filter was not supplying oxygen to the tank.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2012
  8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That was my first guess. sounds like a prolonged power outage. Ask your neighbours.

9. pom

pom Thread Starter

Thanks I am still busy making the tank a bit nicer but for now that is what it looks like, the tank is about 58l so it isn't really that big so no I don't have a sump or a skimmer at the moment but I am looking for a smaller HOB skimmer some time in the future. I only have a HOB filter at the moment with some carbon and I do change this about every two months and I do a 40% water change every 2 weeks.

10. Gerhard DP

Gerhard DP

Sounds like a temp problem to me.
    Higher temps also makes the fish metabolism faster.
    So from Freshwater experience fish that reside in water warmer then what they should
    be in lives shorter lives and are more stressed.

11. pom

pom Thread Starter

O yes crispin, you asked about if I saw the dottyback again, yes he was there this morning when I fed them, and on the boxer shrimp, the dottyback pestered him when I first got the shrimp but now the shrimp doesn't take his sh** anymore and the dottyback leaves him alone now...haha

12. Jayceew

Jayceew

Do you have flow pumps in the tank?

13. pom

pom Thread Starter

Yes, I do have a seio flow pump in the tank

14. ChrisRaubs

ChrisRaubs

I would guess prolonged power outages,,,, there was 3 over the weekend...

15. juan R

juan R

:eek:I agree, there must have been a prolonged power outage. A short outage of 2 hours will have a huge effect on a system like yours. I dont think it was due to hunger, i think they were recovering fromlack of oxygen in your system probably caused by a power outage. Glad to hear your inmates made it though.

16. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

A very warm welcome to MASA, Pom.

The problem with small volumes of water, is that it is not as stable as huge volumes of water. Perhaps you should invest in a PC UPS? With a small circulating pump, running on a UPS, should stop this type of thing happening in future. As the water movement will ensure enough oxygen in the water for the fish, and ensure that there is no die-off of any bacteria in the water, during the time of the power outage.

Also you can perhaps invest in a battery operated airpump as well. I had some in the past, which plugs into the 220 volt power, but runs on batteries. So - as soon as the power goes off, the batteries are activated, and the airpump pumps airbubbles into the tank - this too would work during power outages.

17. pom

pom Thread Starter

Ok so I guess there seems to be consensus that this was mainly caused by an power outage and not lack of food :blush:, thanks for all the replies, I guess I need to get some kind of UPS or something that can help when the power is out, what would be the most cost effective way to go, ups or some kind of battery inverter set up?

18. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Pom - both have their "pro's" and "con's".

UPS - all-in-one-unit no fiddling. Problems is that the batteries are relatively small'ish - and you need a very low power pump/power-head, to make these batteries last long.

12 Volt battery/inverter - could be a lot more costly - but you can add batteries, also - you would need an intelligent electronic charger (like the C-Net units), else the battery's life would be very much shortened. A lot more costly than the UPS all-in-one unit....

Recent Posts