Bid or Buy

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by seank, 4 Jan 2010.

1. seank

seank

Read here (Copied from the Outdoor Photo Site- sure they would not mind):

[​IMG] Bid or Buy, school fees or just stupid?
    Sometimes a bargain might just be more expensive than you thought.[​IMG]

This is a warning to anyone wanting to buy something on Bid or Buy and I just want to share my experience.

Seller by the name of "shooters" advertise a Canon 450D, twin lense kit. Looking at the rating (at that stage 98%) with almost no complaints I though this could be a bargain. Looking for a decent DSLR for my daughter and a package for less than R10000-00, this could just be saving me some money. Well to make the story short, I won the auction for R4950-00. With postage the amount paid over was R5150-00.
    What a bargain!!!!
    http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/item/I...adeId=17367011

E-mail send with proof of payment, got confirmation from Lizelle (owner), 10 days and I will have the 450D. My daughter was over the moon.

I thought let me make a plan to get it quicker. Contacted the seller again, my question: Cant I come through to collect the item? (Heidelberg) No response. Tried to phone, No response. Things started to look bleak. After 5 days I notified the Bid or Buy complaints department. Looked in the forum and see BOB response, just wait, good rating, spoke to them, items will be send.

Since then the scam was uncovered and ME and a lot of others lost the amount of +- R1.2 million. There were people spending up to R25000-00.

A few of us immediately open cases at the SAPS and "Shooters", Lizelle and her partner have been arrested, appeared in court, got bail and will be back in court on the 14 Feb 2010. My R5150 are most likely down the drain as we all know how it works.

Sites like BOB have almost no protection for the buyer and bluntly refused to act when alerted about the problem. A few of us that got scammed got hold of each other and within a day we had the adress and details of Lizelle. This was past on to other victims but got deleted immediately. BOB policy, no private details on forum. After several other complaints they waited for Shooters first to pay their commision before blacklisting them. On their forum they delete post if its not in their favour and only reacted almost 2 weeks later.

Be warned, learn from my stupidity. Rather buy from a recognised dealer with proper after sale service and good communication.

Read more here.....
    http://forum.bidorbuy.co.za/forum-co...-shooters.html

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mandarinman

mandarinman

sorry to hearof the loss. i hate crooks. i have had it on a web site where i sent a metal halide to a bloke in jhb. and he told me it was broken and that he was a student . so he asked for a reduction in price , so stupidly i refunded some of the money( i didnt click that if it was really broken he would have asked for full refund. not long after he had the same thing for sale on a sister site for much more than the original price. so unless i really know a person now, i will not buy or sell to them

4. brentv

brentv

Sorry for your loss.. I have also had a couple of close calls, just don't think anyone gives a s*^t who they deal with on line!

5. magman

magman

I used to buy our cars etc on the internet (ebay), but I would go and check it after winning the bid, if I was happy it was as advertised I would pay cash and collect. Anything else I would use paypal cause they cover you. paypal was lakka cause you could transfer money etc privatly to friends, and you were insured.

6. mandarinman

mandarinman

paypal sounds interesting, how does it work?

7. magman

magman

paypal is an ebay company, you basically open an account with them, put in your personal banking details etc and when you buy something on eg. ebay, you can choose to pay via paypal. You then log into pay pay, and they debit the bucks from your account. If you selling, the buyers pay you buy paypal and it goes into your paypal account, when you want you withdraw it from your paypal account and it goes into your bank account.

You can only use it though if both people have a paypal account, and you log in with your email address. When you do go over a certain value for the first time, then they will confirm you are who you are, eg proof of adress etc.

You can also pay people overseas etc in differant currencies.

8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

paypal is very nice and you are protected with it, but in SA you can only use it to send money, you can not receive money into an SA bank account.

9. maj

maj

this article is making me worry now,2days a go i just purchased a TDs meter on Bid or buy,its only R200 ,will wait and see if it gets to me...should be here this week

10. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

aye sorry bru, i had a good experience on BOB but then again i only spent 150 bucks and not 5 grand

11. Yuri

Yuri

if you have sum thin in your hands then you pay for it
    And if it is a lot then you pay the guy in the bank and you take what you payde for there in the bank

12. lIghty

lIghty

Thanks for the Heads Up Sean!

13. chikaboo

chikaboo

Sorry to hear Sean - I've been using BoB for years now and had a few bad experiences - some resolved and some still hanging in the air - I've lost more than yours and teaches others a valuable lesson but what I started checking is how long the seller has been a member for than looking at his ratings - I've been using eBay also for many years and learn't a trick from other users - If buying something and use my credit card to pay you can actually reverse payment up to 3 months with reasonable cause if dissatisfied with products or not getting joy like no delivery! I also use Paypal and one can open a dispute for problems like this and they will mediate and if need be refund your money - Hope this helps alot of others ot here - not nice for a fellow reefer to be done down! If need be I can go looking for my BIG BOOTS - just let me know - I think I can put this "shooter" person in a tank with no skimmer and no air supply!

14. vatso

vatso

I think BOB needs to also be taken to court with the fact they were not acting in their clients interest! I will not use BOB.

I had the same issue once I sent a mail to the admin of BOB & they were less then helpful!!!

15. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

I've also lost out on BoB and indeed their admin are less than helpful. They only seem to ban sellers if they don't get paid their commission etc. The scam in the story is probably the biggest scam ever pulled off on BoB though. (seller had 100's of good ratings etc and everything)

Recent Posts