Bicarbonate of soda dilution and dosing

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Howzit guys, been a bit scares lately. Work, work and work - u know?

My questions: 1) My kH buffer is finnished, and read that you can use bicarbonate of soda as a replacement. Aparently it must be baked for 2 hrs at 180deg to use in tanks with low ph and as is in tanks with high ph. With my ph sitting at 8.4 in the day and 8.2 at night, should I use baked or not?

2) How much powder do I mix with how much R/O water?

3) How much in ml do I dose per day/night on my 300l system? Currently my kH is 9 but need to know this to keep it constant in future.

Any help from the chemical engineers will help. Thanks

PS: I read the piece on kH buffer in one of the other forums, but it doesn't give all the figures like grams/litres of R/O and ml/day for dosing. I've got a dosing pump.Cheers for now. :wave2:

Reaction score
Firstly...A dkH OF 9 is great...... i would not tamper.
Howzit guys, been a bit scares lately. Work, work and work - u know?
I know.... Long weekend was a blessing

1) My kH buffer is finnished, and read that you can use bicarbonate of soda as a replacement. Aparently it must be baked for 2 hrs at 180deg to use in tanks with low ph and as is in tanks with high ph. With my ph sitting at 8.4 in the day and 8.2 at night, should I use baked or not?
No baking necessary.

2) How much powder do I mix with how much R/O water?
Depends ...do you really need to add bi carb
1 tsp in i cup ro.......... measure kH before and after. Once per day. Will rise slowly.

3) Currently my kH is 9
To keep it constant...regular water changes....If you are topping up with Kalk..... bi carb should be used seldom.

Tobes

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks Sunburst. Yes, I'm running a kalkwasser and my dkH was still sitting at 6-7 for a long time - I started dosing Reeflife kH buffer slowly at night, and my dkH rose to 9-10. I will test before I add bicarb - thanks for info.;)