Bflynn's new 250L DIY project

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Bflynn, 2 Jan 2014.

1. Bflynn

Bflynn

Hi All!

Today I just finished and filled my new tank with tap water too check for leaks. No leaks:thumbup:

Tank dimensions:

850mm x 800mm x 450mm(water height)

Built in back sump + cryptic zone. 850mm x 300mm

DT 850mm x 500mm x 450mm(water height)

6mm glass with bracing, 10mm base.

Some pics
    DSCF8754.JPG

DSCF8752.JPG

DSCF8751.JPG

I am planning on making this an algae tank with fish. I might add small polyp incrusting softies much later.

I will update this thread as the tank matures;)

DSCF8754.JPG

DSCF8752.JPG

DSCF8751.JPG

Last edited: 3 Jan 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Check how dirty our tap water is..........yig!

4. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Some advice needed. I have some base rock that I would like to put in this tank and need to clean it. It has been in the garden for a long time. What is the best method, without using salt water?

DSCF8756.JPG

DSCF8756.JPG

5. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

I have decided to wash and scrub the rocks. What ever is inside must die and cycle. Not too worried about phosphates as I am planning a algae dominated tank. Any suggestions on this?

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

If its been in the garden for such a long time, then anything beneficial already died. some spores might still survive.

Best is another tub or tank or drum. First rinse the rocks a lot with tap water to wash out the dust and mud settlement inside it. Then a final rinse in RO water. Place the rocks in the tub with old display water. From your last water change. A heater and one powerhead would do. If more than one powerhead then use it. Weekly, especially at the beginning, just lift the rocks out and rinse them. You would be amazed to see all the particles that would settle at the bottom of the tank.

Every time you do a water change on your display, use the old water as water change on the tub. Just keep the salinity in check.

After first week you can add some smaller rocks from your display or sump into the tub, to spread some bacteria, bristle stars and what not.

7. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Thanks @RiaanP! The rocks have been in the garden for years! So I dont even think a spore would have made it. Im gona cycle these rocks in my old tank when all is moved over to this one.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Agree with Riaan, at the very least after cleaning them I would soak them in RO water for 2 or 3 days. As long as no garden chemicals or insecticides have come into contact with the rock then it should be fine. Tank looks good, that's quite a large back chamber in the back, should be able to fit a lot in there. :)

9. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Yes will do:thumbup: Thanks! I really like this design and it is gona work well for me. And seems to be fail safe when it comes to leaking plumbing, salt creep and overflow. I am thinking of making the back last compartment a cryptic zone area. Im having second thoughts on this and might just put LR in it with some cheato and a night light to help with PH levels, as well as getting a good pod population going. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Im gona be running carbon in over flow compartment, then skimmer and last compartment still deciding. This is going to be a "dirty" tank:whistling: algae must grow and help LR with nutrient export. This is also going to be a bare bottem system. Base glass is black.

Ive moved the tank in place, filled with saltwater. PH and water temp is the same as running system, want to move my rock and fish over as soon as possible and start cycling the base rock in the old system.

Will post pics later.

10. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Either or I suppose. With a cryptic zone you're going to get some fantastic growth like sponges and other filter feeders which will be very beneficial. But then again live rock and chaeto is also beneficial, both methods work, you just have to pick one, lol.

11. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

So I decided to make the last chamber of my sump a night time refugium, as I have the cheato and LR already.

My tank is fully setup now and running. I might get a bigger skimmer later, but im gona wait and see what the algae does before I go for it.

I made a refugium light with LED strips between two pieces of glass. It works better than anticipated:) and looks pretty good.
    DSCF8758.jpg

DSCF8759.JPG

I used my lights off my old tank, Mc gyvered it a bit to fit on this one. Still gona spray it black.
    Here is a pic of tank just before lights out. You can see the refugium light in the back:thumbup: cool ne!
    DSCF8773.JPG

All in all im chuffed with the way this tank turned out!! Best off all............its all built with recycled materials I have been collecting over time! I only bought silicone, masking tape, primer and paint. Even cooler ne!:tt2:

I want to DIY an auto top up on this tank. Any thread links or suggestions on this?
    Feel free to comment, the bad and the good.

DSCF8758.jpg

DSCF8759.JPG

DSCF8773.JPG

Last edited: 8 Jan 2014
  12. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

More pics! Still need to do the return pipe. You can see it on the right of the tank. I am still trying to get algae cuttings. So difficult to find!!! The green hair algae is starting to go away, I really dont mind it.

DSCF8778.JPG

DSCF8776.JPG

DSCF8780.JPG

Sorry for the bad quality pics.

DSCF8778.JPG

DSCF8776.JPG

DSCF8780.JPG

13. Drewton

Drewton

Like your concept bud! It's going to look awesome once you have some nice colourful macro's and a few softies in there! We built a similarly designed tank for a mate a few years ago and it ran well, durban heat and high temps were an issue though.

14. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Thanks! I do need some nice macros, but they are difficult to come by. My only option is getting macros from fellow reefers on MASA. MASA members tanks are too clean for algae:)

'

15. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

A little update on my DIY tank! I made and installed a DIY ATU switch and pump. I first just used a sisten float valve, but that didnt work so lekka and was very bulky. I have now made my own vertical float switch with a ball float. It works pretty well! Im going too run it for a while and see how it works out.

Been running smoothly for two days now:thumbup:
    ATUPIC.jpg

This is how i built it.
    ATU.jpg

What you guys think? See anything that might go wrong here?

ATUPIC.jpg

ATU.jpg

16. VicZA

VicZA

Please explain how this work. I also want to make my own ATU and was considering the sisten valve but am interested to see how your vertical float valve works. Does the water still flow via pump ? I want to consider building one that does not rely on pump - hence gravity feed only.

17. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Yes! I have a pump in a tank. That is just the switch in the picture above. Basically the ball is floating on the water. When the water level drops the ball goes with it, when it has dropped far enough the washer will rest on the screws closing the circuit to the pump. Once the water is at its level the washer lifts of the screws opening the circuit again and switching the pump of. A toilet cistern valve can work gravity fed if you have the space in your sump and make sure its fool proof. You dont want 25l of fresh water dumped into your tank:eek:

18. VicZA

VicZA

... and how do you do that ?

19. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

Set it up with buckets first. You can fine tune it from there and work out the kinks. This is my fifth DIY ATU, each time the design gets better. If this one doesnt work im just gona buy a switch. The only problem I had with the cistern float valve is that it was just to big and bulky in my sump.

Last edited: 5 Feb 2014
  20. Bflynn

Bflynn Thread Starter

DIY ATU is still running well. And hits the water mark every time:thumbup:

21. Drewton

Drewton

Is it a 12v or 220v system bud? Just asking coz if you accidentally splash water onto those contacts u gonna light up your fishes and possibky your life as well!

Recent Posts