Bewitching Hour

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by DragonReef, 11 May 2007.

1. DragonReef

DragonReef

You ever experience this, when at a certain time of the day your tank just looks crappy.
    Colour looks all wrong, more particulate matter floating around than usual and generally not looking as good as it usually looks.

For me it's around 6pm to 8pm, just at the end of the Halide cycle. The fish tend to behave differently and start stirring the sand bed, my Powder Blue goes demonic and flashes everything in sight and my tank colour changes...

Is it just me or do any of you other guy's experience this ?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Smithers

Smithers

I have lots of wrasse in my tank. Round bedtime when the lights start going off there is tons of crap floating about. I think at my last count I had 8 wrasse that bury themselves !

4. DragonReef

DragonReef Thread Starter

I just have the one wrasse, but this happens way before bedtime.

Lights out is at about 23h30 on my tank.

The transition period between day and night (natural outside light) probably attributes to the change in colour of the tank.

5. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

My wrasse seems to go to bed at around 6 as well but not because of the halides going off, seems to have a watch hidden somewhere cos the lights can do whatever and he will go to bed at the same time...

6. Smithers

Smithers

My lights are off by 7 ! What are your lighting cycles. I am not home much during the day so I will check this weekend !

I can set a clock to my wrasses sleeping times ! They go down at the same time every night. Quite incredible.

7. DragonReef

Lighting starts up at 10.00am and the last actinic goes off at 23h00

My Halides cycle in 7 hour periods but not all at the same time, well they overlap at times.

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

ive also noticed,about half an hour before my halides turn off my corals act weired.LPS tend to go small with mantels sticking out.fish appear to be fine.

9. Copperband

Copperband

i think my guys are hung over in the morning cause the tank looks sad when the lights come on, at its best from around 2pm till 6pm

10. Wizard

Wizard

have any of had a look at your tank at around 3:30 in the morning, man everything looks so weird. the softies especially. once every couple of days my tank goes "murky". i have 2 jaw fish thought that cont. stir up crap off the rocks and the substrate

11. Hill

Hill

A few of my corals look a little sad about a hour or so away from lights out. I wonder in it is PH related. or maybe they are just feeling a little sunburnt.

12. phat

phat

i think it depends on how many beers have down the hatch

13. Alan

Alan Admin MASA Contributor

I find the water quality looks to take a dip in the late afternoon and then picks up again in the evening.

14. DragonReef

That's the phenomenon I'm talking about. No where near lights out time, but for a 1 and half / 2 hour period it looks terrible.
    It's usually the time I get home from work, and can't wait to have a look at my tank. Get there and I'm thinking this looks horrible. Couple of hours later and it all looks good again.

Recent Posts