Beware of suspect buyer!!

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Furbz, 9 Jun 2010.

1. Furbz

Furbz

hi guys,
    just advising everyone that there is a guy out and about looking to buy a second hand marine tank, BE AWARE AND PLEASE TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING!

his name is Tiaan Steyn. (he is not a member on this forum)
    however i did point to this direction for him to get good information from)
    he poses as a doctor at the wilgeheuwel hospital.

i was contacted in response to an add i placed i placed on junkmail.

i was meant to drop the tank off at his premises for him to help out in the delivering process, paying cash on delivery. over the phone he sounds nice enough so i didnt see any issue.

the address he gave me i found when i got to the area didnt exist, not even garmin could pick it up.
    i stopped outside a complex and phoned him to tell him i was lost and looking for his address.
    upon which i got told he was to busy and about to go into surgery.

now due to dumb luck, i ran into his neighbor when i stopped to ask for directions. he was sending me to a different address around a block away.
    now i am at his address(not the one he told me) and i started asking questions cos i was hearing from his neighbor weren't adding up to what he had been telling me.
    upon chatting to the neighbor i found out he was in fact a lawyer not a doctor, living at a different address, and an avid coin collector. also keeps loads of birds in his garage.
    (these details are provided so that people can know warning signs)
    his number i wont list, but it contains 66666 as the last few numbers. <-- if that wasn't hint enough!
    also stays in the welteverden park area

at this point i now i got the neighbor to give him a call.
    after which i received a nasty phone call from tiaan. the call i received afterwards from him showed his frustration and he immediately wanted nothing to do with the tank i was delivering to him.
    time to turn tale and run!

guys please be careful! this okes house was pretty shabby with cameras and security to the 9's

way dodge!

be careful guys, i recon new rule is dont do anything til you see the money in your bank account or cash in hand has been delivered.
    and never deliver on behalf of a stranger!!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. PeterL

PeterL

There is no way I am going to deliver anything, if a stranger wants to buy something off of me - they collect. If it is "one of our own" within MASA, I will gladly make a plan (Chika is testement to me wanting to help a fellow reefer)...

No cash, no delivery - simple.

Junkmail is a scam waiting for a place to happen. I had a Sports Quad I was selling and got a call from a guy in Witbank claiming to own a security company, I explained that I was selling a performance racing machine, he wanted it to have a "big" machine in his arsenol to stop the thieves. All sounded legit and he put a cheque in the bank as promised, except I was expecting an EFT. I phoned the bank to get special clearance and they couldn't do it, multiple phone calls but the guy wasn't answering. 2 days later the cheque was gone...Fortunately I told him that the funds clear before collecting the good and he meets me at MY local SAPS so he didn't have my address. He called a few days later claiming to be coming through in his Black BMW X5 with the cash (R50K cash, sure buddy, whatever)...needless to say I sat at the SAPS to their disgust because I rode the quad there becasue the transaction was going to happen there. No show and I have since sold the quad another time. After showing SAPS the number, they say they have had a few cases go through that SAPS office alone, they simply can't catch the guy but he has stolen a few bikes and quads that way...

4. Annoying

Annoying

Thanks for the heads up... It's unbelievable how far these people will lie to get what they want! It just isn't right:nono:

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Most Quad bikes sold on Junkmail are actually being stolen on the same method, false check, or his driver will come and collect with false check.
    Also Jetskis, and boats.

Well anything that is not easily traceable.

My dad almost lost his boat like that. But when my dad changed the venue (on my tip) to a police station, they just did not pitched.

6. Dikdaan

Dikdaan

Thanks for the info on the seller!!!So is your tank up for sale again? Any news on the pumps?
    Cheerz

7. Norman_the_fish

Norman_the_fish

yea, these scams happen all the time, friend of mine had a similiar incident selling a motor home, somehow 'rough diamonds' got involved and 'meeting the buyer' etc.. all got crazy and these guys were in the car with him so as he was drivin and couldnt get these guys out he just handbraked in front of a police car to which the guys scrammed out of the car and sprinted away..haha..

8. vatso

vatso

If it does not feel right don't part with your stuff & if they keep changing things you know it's a no go

9. Creep

Creep Ernst

I advertised a 20 tonne carne on Junkmail. I was contacted by a guy named Joseph. He was a driver from Capetown on his way to Potch and he was interested but he wanted me to collect the money from him at Potch so i had to drive all the way from Kempton. On arrival he only had half the money and offerd me the other half in DIAMONDS. He and a few friends got into my car with a camera bag full of money and what looked like diamonds I said Im not interested. This guy kept phoning me every day offering me diamonds for the crane i had to change my telephone number. Was the second scariest day in my life after a armed robbery I was in.

10. vatso

vatso

I was selling one of my Cerwin Subs - I got a call from some person saying they wanted the hifi?? I said if you don't know what it is how can you want to buy it - he said I want it & that if I could deliver it!!

I then explained in none proper English where & what he could do! he never called back

11. JD167

JD167

There was a story on Carte Blanche of people selling puppies over the internet, insisting on EFT's and the dog will then be shipped to you. A scam clearly. I found one such person who first claimed he stayed in Cape Town(southern subs) when one person called him, but when I phoned he suddenly stayed in Pietersburg. He insisted I do an EFT and he will then send the dog down to me via a company that "specializes in couriering animals". After telling him that I'm planning a trip to Pietersburg(which I wasn't) and I can simply pick up the dog then, he again insisted that it would cause stress to the dog and that I should EFT him the money and he will send it down. This was obviously utter horse shit. Eventually he started ignoring my calls and emails. Googling his number I found a bunch of adverts for dogs. All on different names. I actually submitted all of this to Carte Blanche again and was thinking of making a case with the Police...

12. Johan van Aardt

Johan van Aardt I love marines [R.I.P.]

At a stage we wanted a parrot so we went on gumtree and emailed 2 people, back came the emails only there was something really fishy going on as it was the same two emails just with diffrent species of parrots etc...

Funny thing is both emails had the same spelling mistakes.

13. JuanS

JuanS

I advertised in the Junk Mail both my car and bike. Unbelieveble the number of Nigerians (sounds like) that phone you and are interested. I just say - sorry ,sold.

One guy actually phoned me, asking about the bike etc. He then asked me if he could come and look at it. Gave him my adress - 1st mistake. 10 minutes later phoned me telling me he's from Witbank (strange hey??) and couldn't make it. He'll send a courier to come pic up the bike (without ever seeing it). I said sure but what about the money. He said he'll send a cheque, to wich I answered forget it. COD only. Last phone call from him, but that night a white Nissan bakkie drove past the house slowly, stoppped, and when I went outside it quickly drove away. Since then, at least twice a week the beams outside sets off the alarms.

I'll NEVER again advertise/sell anything in JUNK MAIL, I think the name says it all!

14. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

i think id rather deliver than giving my adress to a stranger.

15. Norman_the_fish

Norman_the_fish

i have bought all my camera equip (bout R30K worth) all on gumtree and sold quite a bit of it too and I have never asked to meet anybody at their house and never invited anybody to mine. Usually a shopping mall and go into a store like Vodacom, i do an EFT rite there after inspecting and also they have in-store surveillance if anything looks dodge, most suspect ppl are not keen ot meet in a public place in a small shop to try and do a con. speakin of cam equip there is a scam on gumtree where it's awesome lenses for cheap and always in Plettenbergy bay, remember seeing an ad for a porsche dirt cheap on there too. funny part is that somebody must be falling for these scams else they woulda quite long time ago..

16. JD167

JD167

You still read in the news of people falling for 419 scams. A Brazillian guy and an American women were rescued the other day after being held captive by Nigerians in Jhb. Idiots..

17. RunningWolfSA

RunningWolfSA

18. chas84

chas84

A while ago we had a similar incident. A "Reverend" something-or-other wanted to buy our boat for his "church". He was unable to collect in person, but would send a courier (hehe I can see Fedex towing a boat around...). He made the deposit (a forged cheque) and then phoned to fax the deposit slip. Got the deposit slip and let him know it must clear first. Few days later the bank phoned and sent us the cheque. Lol I still wanted to "arrange" for him to collect, but never got to it. They're such a network of crooks, and if a seller isn't overly cautious they'll be conned.

19. Tremayn

Tremayn

This 1 time we got a phone call at our shop from a doctor, same name as the 1 who performed a surgery on my dad. So thinking it was the same guy i took his order of moz prawns and other stuff to the tune of R4000. He said he will pay by eft and some1 will come and collect it. Sounded ok because alot of our customers send someone to collect there orders. So this guy pitches up and gives my dad a "Confirmation of payment" for the eft. It was a black and white printed page with a FNB logo on it. looked like it was photocopied... Dad gave him the goods and the next day the amount did not reflect on the bank statement. So my dad phoned him on the cell phone number given to us and he said he will phone the bank. Nothing happened. So my dad phoned back and the number was disconnected. So he phone the real doctor and the guy was like but i didnt buy anything and sent his wife to the shop. When my mom saw her she knew we had been ripped off because that lady just bought a small hake. So from his day we never accept eft and cheques from new customers. There are just so many crooks out there its amazing! Good thing about masa is that you do feel safer especially if the buyer isnt new to the forum. Or are we just naive?

Last edited: 9 Nov 2010
  20. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

yes and no.

i have worked in the exact same industry as you and i have expereinced a simular thing..

as for masa, while i dont say dont trust the people here (i of all people would like to see us as family more than friends) but deals do go wrong.. things promised are not delivered or sometimes in the stste they should be..

if i can be blunt, i have been ripped off by close friends than by complete strangers..

so with any purchase or sale caution should be excersised..

Recent Posts