Beware - LFS that rob customers

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by disco, 19 Mar 2012.

1. disco

disco

I frequent many LFS around Cape Town and I have now seen and experienced over the past two years enough to make me so angry that I am writing this thread.

Many of these LFS dont specify prices on their products and when you enquire, it is usually a thumb suck based on how you look. Well i think they know what the product costs but they just calculate their profit based on how you look.

Over this weekend, once again i witnessed...the assistant calls out the prices of the products to the owner who is operating the till, but the amounts he puts in the till are R5 and R2 more than what the products cost...the customer is too preoccupied with his purchases that he doesnt realise whats happening. My brother has been caught out like this before and ive been "robbed" of R50 on my tank purchase of R3000...was charged R3050. Even if the customer checks the till slip afterwards, it does not specify what was bought and the customer probably wont bother to go back and argue over a few rand. Now these are small amounts maybe to some, but it all adds up to a nice profit at the end of the month. Its blatant robbery i think.

Another way they catch you is when they run specials...they NEVER give you the special price as advertised, unless you ask for it when making payment. I bought something over this weekend and had to ask twice to please give me the weekend special price as advertised...my till slip does not specify what i bought, so i have no proof of what i purchased if i have a problem. For example, had i bought a canister filter...where is my proof for guarantee.

I also saw a customer being sold a new small tank with fish...the shop was out of stock of new tank bacterial supplement and the customer was then sold a water clarity product promising the same results.

A few weeks ago i needed a hygrometer....I saw about 15 on the shelf, however they assistant told me they dont have stock, but what i need is a refractometer...costs R800 more. I went back the next day and got the hygrometer off the shelf just because I knew what i wanted.

In my experience, most LFS I have been to catch customers using these tactics or just blatantly overcharge, but there are those select few that catch you at the till where the cost of the product increases by R2 or R5 or R50, depending on the amount and product you purchase.

I hope to make you all aware and I hope that someone with more clout than me will notice this scamming and give the guilty a piece of their mind....i can just rant here!

PS. thank you to all the honest LFS out there who make the hobby a pleasure for us!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. NickW

NickW

Its shocking how many LFS are just in it for the money, a good LFS is one whos best interests match the customers.

Thanks for the post!

4. WarrenElvis

WarrenElvis

Wish we could name and shame like the minister of correctional services, and parade, cos thats absolutely crazy when lfs steal money like this. What goes around comes around.

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

some okes are just there to make bucks

6. Wes

Wes

moral of the story wear the oldest clothes you can to your LFS...

7. rakabos

rakabos

Always do your research i never ever trust a LFS. There are some exceptions though like our sponsors...

Last edited: 19 Mar 2012
  8. NickW

NickW

Problem there might be that you will not even get any service in the marine section as they think you just browsing and cant afford it. so its a vicous circle really, unless you a regular and they know you have a marine tank.

9. nico.m.ferreira

nico.m.ferreira

What about the new consummer protection law?

10. Tremayn

Tremayn

haha.. Normally when I go to a shop with my brother they always walk past him and serve me even though he is the one who wants to buy something

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

This / these issues were discussed previously.

Tips

• Built a relationship with your LFS. I frequent more than one and they all know me and what type of system I got.
    • No impulse buying. Do not pull your wallet out every time. Go home - Google - then either buy it or let it be.
    • Get a slip for any product under guarantee. Even the best products do fail.
    • Once bitten, twice shy... (believe in that saying)

12. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

well you are entitled to a slip by law, which is something we dont even get here in East London.

but yes you need to be sharp, as with most stores... and make a decision as to if you will support them further..

13. mandarinman

mandarinman

well i emailed a sponsor regarding what was going on in their shop and that it was hurting their business here in durbanville cum bellville. they havent even had the decency to reply ro my qualms so i will not use them again.

14. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

I have a pretty good idea about which LFS you are referring to.

The slip contains just numbers and that way, you don't even know, how much was this and that.

I believe, the reason for printing such slip lays more in saving some, including VAT you have paid. That way, you can say to SARS, I bought stock for 100.000 Rand and I sold it for 120.000 Rand. But they sold probably for 200.000 Rand. 80.000 Rand tax free and out of the 80.000 Rand, there are the 14% VAT that you have paid for SARS!

Using two tills makes things also easy to get around a high tax payment.

Just my thoughts and the figures are just examples.

Recent Posts