Better than a Chiller

I tried this as a temporary cooler for my tanks.
Homemade-air-conditioner.jpg

I works pretty well & if box is kept sealed it should last for most of the day depending on where you place it & defiantly not in direct sunlight. It really saved my tanks on many occasions during some of the hottest days here in CTN. Anyway just thought I'd share my diy cooler.

Hennie have a chat with the waterboy. Some years ago I was given a electronic cooler thing by a aqua lambda (I think that is the name of the company) to test. Never got round to it. These guys were using these units to chill drinking water. Marco might have a similar unit.

Most of those smaller water coolers use Peltier pumps for the coolong, just don't think its going to be powerful enough.

I tried this as a temporary cooler for my tanks.
Homemade-air-conditioner.jpg

I works pretty well & if box is kept sealed it should last for most of the day depending on where you place it & defiantly not in direct sunlight. It really saved my tanks on many occasions during some of the hottest days here in CTN. Anyway just thought I'd share my diy cooler.

MistaOrange, I can't see how this will cool the water on a hot day, as it could only ever reduce the water temp of the tank to the air temp.

Another problem is the copper piping you have used, it will kill the corals as it degrades.

Maybe something for you to try: if you could place the coil in some sort of material (perhaps a thin layer of filter cloth) and keep it damp, as the passing air causes the water to evaporate off the cloth it will cause it to cool, intern cooling the pipe and water.

lol beer. sorry I should have said what was in the box, yes there was about 6kg ice in a bit of water them sealed the box. I was desperate awhile ago as my tanks temp were reaching 36 deg c +. my room had a zinc roof at the time so you can imagine it was a microwave with no electricity. that year i lost all breeding pairs of 8 species of killifish & 6 of my breeding cobolt & marlbro albino discus (freshwater) but surprisingly all of my salt water fish survived thanx to that diy cooler. I have insulated the room since that costly day

Actually i can think of a very cheap way to keep an aquarium cool- use your cold tapwater supply(usually between 8-18 celsisus depending on season) to cool it down by running the aquarium water through a titanium heat exchanger that instead of using gas and electricity simply uses a solenoid to open a valve from your home coldwater supply so the heat from your aquarium is transferred to the coldwater supply that runs to your geysers... this also means the geysers would receive slightly warmer water and thus need less electricity to hit their correct temp ... right now the theory is all in my head but soon one day im going to make this work!

Actually i can think of a very cheap way to keep an aquarium cool- use your cold tapwater supply(usually between 8-18 celsisus depending on season) to cool it down by running the aquarium water through a titanium heat exchanger that instead of using gas and electricity simply uses a solenoid to open a valve from your home coldwater supply so the heat from your aquarium is transferred to the coldwater supply that runs to your geysers... this also means the geysers would receive slightly warmer water and thus need less electricity to hit their correct temp ... right now the theory is all in my head but soon one day im going to make this work!

Good theory, but a bit impractical.

The reason I say this is:

1 - there would probably be less than 10C difference in the tap water and the tank water, this means you would have to have a heat exchanger the same size as the tank to be able to transfer the energy efficiently, otherwise it you would have to run the water for hours to get any effect.

2 - if connected to the geyser, it would only work when someone uses hot water in the house, however it could be connected to the main supply to the house, so when any tap opened it would cycle though the exchanger, but basically "unreliable"

3 - Costs, I haven't done the calculations, but I really doubt it would work out cheaper, just roughly, a chiller would use about 0.5kWh to chiller a 1000l tank by 1C costing about R0.40, it would cost approx about R2.10 using about 250ltrs of water. (like I said, just a quick sum, not exact figures)

PS, colder tap water would help the efficiency, however, doubt the tank would get hot if its so cold outside anyway.

While on this topic and in light of Annoying losing his fish due to a heater going faulty and boiling all his fish is there anyone making use of a temperature alarm..... As in if the temperature goes out of our "tolerable window" then it will raise an alarm of some sort .... buzzer or lights flashing or some kind of warning ....

While on this topic and in light of Annoying losing his fish due to a heater going faulty and boiling all his fish is there anyone making use of a temperature alarm..... As in if the temperature goes out of our "tolerable window" then it will raise an alarm of some sort .... buzzer or lights flashing or some kind of warning ....

I personally don't trust a thermostat in a heater, currently (untill my controller my newly built Micro based controller is fully installed) I've been using a external controller, much safer to use and better controll!

Back
Top Bottom