Better Business Practice

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by riyadh, 5 Aug 2014.

1. riyadh

riyadh

So sun morn I take my son out to some pet shops to buy some fish and coral. We go to a well known fish shop and a forum sponsor .
    Get what we want on the way home we stop at another forum sponsor and a big name in the petshop business.
    Inside I bump into a friend start chatting and my son is allover the place looking at stuff.
    We leave and he tells me that he never wants to go in there again.
    I ask him why and he says that this guy was busy bad mouthing the other shop that we go to alot!!
    I was shocked, I didnt know what to say!! I asked him why didnt he say anything and his answer was that he would just be told to mind his own business!
    I dont think this is a professional attitude and it is definately not good for the hobby.
    Is business so bad that one business ruins the reputation of their competition?
    I am in retail and a very competative market at that. When we dont have somthing I send my customers to other shops. My Dad will be furious if he finds out, but I have never lost a customer, infact they always come to us first.
    If this forum sponsor is reading this I hope you know who you are, infact I am sure you do!!
    Do not bad mouth other people in the same industry as you, one day you gonna need a favour from them, instead try and make the person feel better that they came to you instead

Last edited: 5 Aug 2014
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

It happens everywhere. Big business or small business, the world has lost the moral high ground.

4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Ummm....I think everyone in Cape Town knows which two shops you talking about.

You complain that the shop bad mouths another, yet you post for all to read how all the livestock that said shop sells dies??

Good thing retail is that we have freedom to choose which shop we support. If you disprove of a shop, then go somewhere else. I always feel it's good to raise complaints with the shop before telling the world about them. Who knows perhaps the complaint was legitimate or evedropping caused a bad case of broken telephone.

5. riyadh

riyadh Thread Starter

Absolutely, I truly apologise, will edit immediately
    Fortunately there is freedom of choice, and if I am not satisfied with one shop I go to the next. I do not solely rely on one store for goods, but I will look for the best service, honesty and best prices

Last edited: 5 Aug 2014
  6. SilverWolf

SilverWolf

Here i would like to agree.
    I have had much better response from a "bad experience" by addressing it in a calm, neutral and patient manner, internally to whom it may concern. Sometimes a resolution is just a smile away. Here in Pretoria/Jhb there are a lot of Retail stores that cater for our needs in the marine world. I have had a really bitter experience with a staff member of a well known sponsor a while back. I addressed this with another staff member and still support the sponsor, even though i avoid the staff member who gave rotten advise.

I have come to learn that some sponsors might lack something in some area, yet makes up for it in another area. I support all the sponsors as combined there is something i like/benefit from every single one of them.

I have met a bunch of nice guys that have a passion for what they do. I love every sponsor for the little bit they contribute on their own.

Just remember that without these guys we would be stuck with goldfish.

Imo, don't get involved with sponsor politics.
    If you were participating in that discussion, and someone starts badmouthing, respectfully detach yourself and walk away.

7. LCornelius

LCornelius Moderator

I agree, first take complaints up with the store.

As mentioned, a reasonable attitude mostly solves the problem.

If you take this up with the store and cant come to a resolve, contact a administrator on the forum first.

We are all here to live in harmony and enjoy our hobby!

Happy reefing!

Recent Posts