best way to run chiller

Discussion in 'Test Kits, Controllers, Reactors and Dosers' started by 4age, 11 Oct 2013.

1. 4age

4age

Hu Guys..with summer coming up, I am going to connect my hailea chiller up. I have never used it before as I had it in storage while I had a FOWLR.

whats the best way to run the chiller..I have an outlet running from my return pump which I want to use to feed the chiller..what rate should flow through the chiller be? I assume not too fast as the water needs contact time with chiller

the other question is...can I use that STC 1000 units to run both the chiller and the heater, as I understand that it could save on electricity..but will it effect the lifespan of the equipment? I am planning on going full sps soon so want stable parameters.

Last edited: 11 Oct 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nur

Nur Starz

After your heater, so if heater malfunctions chiller will save you.
    I switch my heaters off in summer. Actually switched mine off this AM.

4. Quintin

Quintin

I have my chiller setup as a gravity feed back from my Display tank.
    Water is split between a direct line to the sump and the chiller via a ball valve.

5. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

Run chiller inline with return via a ballvalve .... In this way the temp will be the same in sump and DT ....I had mine running off a seperate pump runin in chiller and out again into sump, I later found my sumps temp was according my chiller and dt was 2 deg more .... So I run it with return so water cycle is via chiller and temps are equal all over ..... @Nur made a good point,but imo if a heater fails, it fails...chiller wnt save u,instead heater and chiller will run simultaneously and cost u a crap load on elec ....

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

Oh and as for the temp controller stc1000...go for it dude, yes it has a heat and chill controll and it has a deg interval were if temp is stable both are off (saving loadsa elec) and also has a set .0 deg setting so it activated chiller/heater very quickly and b4 u knw it, back 2 stable and both off again.... That thingh is amazing ...look,it even inspired me to name my Alias after it :rofl:

7. 4age

4age Thread Starter

ok cool..gna get me one..i don't mind adding it if it adds to stability (and saves on electricity)

8. BarryG

BarryG

So u just plum in in with a T-piece and control the split of flow with ball valves?
    If i use seperate return how much flow should go through chiller?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  9. Quintin

Quintin

Look on the back of the chiller.
    It will give you min and max flow ratings plus min and max water volume that it can cool.

Recent Posts