Best way to glue glass to perspex?

Rory

Admin
Reaction score
What sort of "glue" should I use for gluing perspex to glass? I tried silicone and it didn't work that well.

Also what's the stuff called for perspex to perspex?

Rory.You remember my old 6ft tank? I used Bostik Marine Silicone and it held the perspex well to the glass.

I'm wanting to make "hooks" to hang stuff on so it needs to be "vas" not just held in place. I figured epoxy, will probably try that and see how it goes...

not alot of things that will bond to perspex, but like Gaboon said, Epoxy would probably be the best, but roughen it up a bit to help stick.

Hi Darryl.
My son is making a perspex box for his school project and I am wanting him to glue the sides. I see you say chloroform and to sand paper the edges but can you tell me a bit more as I am a single mother and he is 16. I really want to show him the prper way to do it??

I know of an excellent waterproof product that becomes plastic but it is in black, maybe not suitable for the top of the tank.

..::: a.b.e. Construction Chemicals Limited : Product List :::..
Most pennypincers and builders suppliers stock their ranges. Avoid acrylic or "laycryl", you want bituminous.

I love abe products, Check it out they have a salt water resistant "bitujoint putty" http://www.abe.co.za/pdfs/bitujointputty.pdf

However with such a wide range of specialized solutions It may pay to give them a call They will likely suggest something better. Some of their things are specific for water and fish safe, But as long as its not going into the tank itself I am pretty sure even the things listed as "toxic" cure completely waterproof.

The product I use to fix rusted holes in roof sheeting is called "Bituseal plastic, trowel-able bituminous plastic" Its like a thick toffee that takes months to set into rock hard plastic, but is waterproof from day one. No amount of sun or weather does diddly to this stuff.

I saw this stuff at Builders and Pennypinchers. Problem is why would it take months to set into hard plastic?

That is just the trowel-able plastic one I like, the other things set normally. Also you can see they got a range of epoxies. All of it is waterproof and tough some are for ponds specifically.

My son is making a perspex box for his school project and I am wanting him to glue the sides. I see you say chloroform and to sand paper the edges but can you tell me a bit more as I am a single mother and he is 16. I really want to show him the prper way to do it??

Hi Didsy, and WELCOME to MASA. Please start a new thread in the New Members forum and tell us a bit more about yourself, and your involvement in this hobby.

I have done a lot of work with acrylic sheeting (Perspex), and prefer to use a product called Tensol 12. This is a thicker type of acrylic weld (glue), and can fill small imperfections in the joints. Dichloromethane can be used as a "wicking" type glue - this "wicks" between two pieces of acrylic, and bonds the sheets within seconds (as does chloroform). Either type of glue can he bought from Maisey's Plastics - just look them up in the phone book.

Hennie

What sort of "glue" should I use for gluing perspex to glass? I tried silicone and it didn't work that well.

Rory,

Look into using Tensol 7 for this. It is a two-part "liquid acrylic" which sets in about one hour after mixing the two parts. I will "weld" onto your Perspex, and still bind well with the glass - just a bit tricky to use, with the mixing...

Hennie

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom