Best time to buy live stock

Discussion in 'Biological/Natural Filtration and Deep Sand Beds' started by mandrin, 30 Sep 2011.

1. mandrin

mandrin

hi guys ... my local LFS got live stock last nite ....
    was wondering should i go buy some today or should i let the livestock settle in their tanks for a few days and rather go there on monday ...
    wats your advise on this thanks guys ....u rock here ;)

Last edited: 30 Sep 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. FransSny

FransSny

mandrin, best (IMHO) would be to go there , see what you want , research and finalise your decision, pay a deposit and ask them to keep it for a week or so.

This allows for an informed decision , gives the fish time to settle after shipment and also lessens the outbreak of disease

My 2C

Keanan and rakabos like this.
  4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Agree with Frans.
    I prefer buying livestock a few days after it lands. Being transported and then acclimatised is stressful and having it doen twice in one day might be a bit too much for some stock.

5. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

yeah guys i was thinkong the same ... me new to this sorry for silly questions........thanks mab i shud wait ...till monday .....:thumbup:

6. crispin

crispin

not a silly question at all mandarin, its a very sensible one and it shows you are stronger willed than most who just start out. I personally never buy LS as it lands and dislike LFS's who give discounts on fish that have just landed. Always try find out what the fish eats at the LFS and ask them to feed it first before you buy it. Look for any signs of damage (especially to the mouth area) or heavey breathing. Two signs to walk away from the fish.

always try get the fatter, brighter fish in the tank of the secies you want and have a plan on what you want to buy before you go in, try resist impulse purchases as much as possible.

best of luck on monday :)

7. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

@ crispin thanks for the advise ....will do on monday i will look out for the fatter ones ...lol
    well me being new ... already wana get a bigger tank but i jus taking a chilli pill lol:).......
    its a great hobby ...thanks again

8. crispin

crispin

so what fish and inverst are you thinking of getting, why not run a list by us and we can see what the options are? how big is the tank, what lighting, how much live rock and what sort of fish do you like the look of?

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

have to disagree,

The longer the just landed but healthy fish is at the LFS, the more change it has to become infected by one sick individual. Lots of fish comes and go. Even if this week all is OK, but last week one fish that is gone now, dropped WS cycst. Or next week, while your fish is being cared for, another fish with some nasty add on is added to the same tank.

When is the best time?
    As soon as possible, AFTER you done your research.

Yuri likes this.
  10. crispin

crispin

hmmm riaan i hear you point, but i dont agree to be honest. Letting a fish have time to settle after a long haul flight and get used to a new set of water perameters is always a good thing in my view. Wait before buying, and then take it home and quarenteen is by far the best way to go about it.

id never buy out the box, or one day after like some SA fish shops try entice you to do by giving discount prices. Im never in a hurry to get the fish I want, its a plan thats worked out on a 5 year cycle. i intend every fish that goes into my tank will be there in years to come, so taking a risk by getting a fish once its just landed, still battling stress from flight, low O2 in bags, possibly cyanide poisoning from capture etc etc etc is not worth it in my view. Better to wait and then buy and then drop it into a bucket like other people do :) Actually while on the topic of bucket quarenteen, wont you put that thread in here for mandarin to read as well:)

i do hear waht ytou are saying about the increased chance of a healthy fish contracting a disease in a LFS's shop, but i feel its more likely to overcome or ward off diseases than it is to sucumb to stress from capture, transport and acclimatisation.

just my view though (keeps cosewecanfly happy)

11. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

intersting ... well i am new to this , lstarting small first got a 37 l aquaria with venturi protein skimmer
    with a little refguimat back wit protein skimmer add pure chemi elite as well then got some ceramic rings ...got abot 4 kg live rock in main tank ....have a pair of percula clowns i cleaner shrimp some snails and a orange spotted gobie as for lites its std wit ....2 x 24 w tc-l and in the refuguim 5w tc -d
    i got some mushrooms corals polys and star polps ...wana get a yellow wraase or a 6 striped wraase

12. FransSny

FransSny

Well I am out of this argument as I think there are a lot of factors & variables to consider....one of the biggest being experience

@ mandarin , I wouldnt put any more fish in that system

13. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

reali jus the two clowns ......
    if u dont mind me asking why...... thanks .....
    i just wanted to add like 2 to 3 more thats it ......ntil i get a bigger tank mab a 130 ltre

14. crispin

crispin

mandarin personally id hold off on fish as thats a fairly heavey load for a small new tank. perhaps you could look at some of the smaller wrasses or goby's (im thinking of a rainfords goby or maybe a citron goby).

I wouldnt suggest a six line wrass. I have one in my 800l tank and he has single handedly taken out all the pods and is relativley aggressive. in such a small tank a six line would cause havoc i fear. They are wonderful fish and very pretty but not your best choice i fear.

a yellow wrasse (also known as the banna wrasse or canari wrasse) is also a great fish, but a big swimmer and again needs a bigger tank with lots of sand as it burries itself to sleep. id skip that too im afraid.

you could also look at things like purple fire fish or maybe cardinals, but id not recomend too many more fish in there.

what about getting something a little different from the fish? something like a bristle star fish, or shrimps. a pair of cleaner shrimps would look great in there, or even better a small group (maybe 3-4) sexy shrimp (thor ambioensis).

Just google some of the names I have suggested so you can see what I am looking at.

you could also put some money towards mushroom corals, or zoanthids, or maybe a decent sized pincushion (which your clowns might like to host in).

lots of options, but id not go with too many more fish:)

15. Yuri

Yuri

I know before hand what will land
    Then I give the lfs a bucket with my water ...

16. crispin

crispin

some yellow tailed damsels might work as well.

hang on let me find you an article i read last night on fish options for a nano, it wqas well written, give me a sec ok?

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

18. crispin

crispin

good thinking. Yet another reason to have a good relationship with your LS supplier

19. FransSny

FransSny

Ok , I personally dont feel there are "set rules" in this hobby , BUT experience (I think a lot of other nano owners will concur) has tought me that owning and sucesfully managing a nono is MUCH harder than a bigger setup.

Remember with a smaller water volume water quality becomes unstable much quicker than with a larger volume. Thus adding more fish will hasten the process. Even if you are running chemicals etc you will have to monitor water quality VERY closely.

Rather find your feet with a smaller , lighter stocked setup and move from there. You can add nice softies , shrimp or so etc to fill it up.

Also bear in mind fish grow...nemos quite quickly ;)

@ crispin ...sorry was posting at same time

20. mandrin

mandrin Thread Starter

thanks guysu all are great will do @ crispin look at yr fish u told me about ..

yeah mabe 1 more fish then add more wen i get a 130l tank .......
    ps my orangespotre gobe fun to watch he turns the sand often and keeps it snow white great fish .....

21. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

is it eating prepared food as well? Sand sifters generally need very mature tanks with alot of life in the substrate.

Recent Posts