Best T5's??

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Furbz, 29 Apr 2009.

1. Furbz

Furbz

the question is: what are the best T5's to give to best lighting for my tank??
    and, do they give better light to standard lights?

i have T5's that i bought for R110 a year ago. its now time to replace them and i am wondering if giesemann or ATI globes, which cost an extra R110 over the normal globes really will make such a difference. if they do, then what are the differences?

longer life?
    brighter light?
    better light?
    are they really worth the extra cash for them??
    which is the best T5, not the most expensive necessarily, but the BEST??

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. brentnorm

brentnorm

I will stick around for this one. How about a poll ?

4. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

ya a poll would be good. can one of the mods set one up?
    cos when replacing lighting, its a difference between R600 and R1200. big difference in my budget!!

5. brentnorm

brentnorm

Yip, too mine too. Jaquesb, lend a hand here.

6. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

I heard that Geissemann was the absolute best. But, you also pay an absolute PREMIUM for them. Also "heard" that ATI is reasonably good value for money - being in the medium range... So are AquaMedics.... in the same range as the ATI's...
    Sylvania is the BEST value for money - but these you have to replace more often than the ATI's and Geissemann's...

If you want to become even MORE technical and even MORE "anal" about the lighting, then you can go for ICECAP ballasts - which I believe also gives THE ABSOLUTE best performance for the T5 lighting you can ever ask for.....

7. brentnorm

brentnorm

Can you set up a poll on this question jacquesb ?

8. Furbz

Furbz Thread Starter

and just so that we get an accurate vote on this poll. please can the guys who have tested or used a few different makes of globes vote only.
    i.e have a little experience, only 1 make so i cant and shouldn't contribute to make sure the votes do not get skewed

9. jacquesb

OK - what do you want on the poll? I will set it up.... just tell me what the options should be?

10. Monti

Monti

If I recall correctly, there is no huge price difference between the Giessemans and the ATIs. Similar quality too (both excellent). The only real difference is in fact the different spectrums they come in.

The aquamedic bulbs are not in the same class as the above two, and cost a little less.

I was told that they are made in the same factory (not sure of this, so dont quote me).

11. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

I saw a lighting unit using Geisimean and Reeftek bulbs. I was told to point out the difference in which is the Reefteks and which is the Geisiman's. Couldnt tell the difference. Both lit up the same.
    Now I am guessing it is PAR that could maybe play a role here and lifespan.....What you guys think?

12. Monti

Monti

I would agree on that. Im not too sure on the Reefteks to be honest- havent seen much info on them in terms of PAR output over an extended period of time. Its also important to bear in mind that just as important as bulbs would be the use of good quality individual reflectors.

13. Mekaeel

Yes reflectors are highly important. I would love someone with a PAR meter to put it to the test. Maybe we should get Andrew (millepora) to give it a test for us.

14. Monti

Monti

What I would really like to see is PAR testing on day one, and then monthly or bi-monthly. Would be very interesting to see the results

15. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

Just wait a month :p

IMHO ATI are the best. I ran Geisseman for quite a while and I think ATI are just that little bit better (and yes I compared new globe vs new globe, not the old one against the new one). I like the colour of the "white" ATI better than the "white" Geisseman. As for price, both of them are right up there, I think ATI probably a little bit more.

Aquamedic/Sylvania are decent but the Sylvania is quite a bit cheaper. I think after that the quality and/or lifespan drops off significantly.

16. Mekaeel

Yeah, now where is mille? Surfing I guess :(

17. Monti

Monti

Yeah, he is very busy these days isnt he?

18. Mekaeel

Yeah busy surfing:nono:. Need to have a chat with Paula about this.
    I think Andrew also carries the Reeftek bubs if im not mistaken.

19. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

I would not waste my money on AM, they go yellow quite fast. But then I have only used 2 10k ones. ATI are my favorite, never been able to get Geisseman, even when I went to JHB. Sylvania to me are also a waste of money, and at 1 LFS was quoted more for them than I could get the ATI from another LFS.

20. jacquesb

Shaun - I use Sylvania actinics (I don't use white T5's anymore - since I have 3 x 150 watt metal halides over my tank)..... They cost me +-R86 each (for 54 watt) at "The Lamphouse".....

I have not seen ATI globes in any of the Cape Town LFS's yet..... So, I was never tempted to buy them....

Unfortunately, LFS's also sell Sylvania for between R120 and R180 per globe :(

21. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

jacques I was quite impressed when I went to builders warehouse and the guy there used to own a lighting shop or something. I was asking him what the highest powered energy saver they had was (45W) and he asked if it was for a fish tank or something, so told him it was for a reef tank and he told me the bulb was completely wrong etc, must go to lamphouse, get some halides etc... Had to explain the algae filter concept to him as well.

Wetty a rough guideline for you would be 1 150W MH (14000K or less) per 60cm*60cm*60cm of water. That would be about the bare minimum...

Jacques I know irie ivan has subsequently upgraded but his SPS looked brilliant when he only had 3 150W MH's...

Recent Posts