Best shipment method of fish / coral

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Jaco Schoeman, 21 May 2010.

1. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi

I thought I would share this story with everyone, that is scared or uneducated on shipping coral and fish to other people in S.A...

Yesterday I had to ship three gorgonians and three other corals to Maj in Cape Town. Because of the gorgonians being quite large, I had to put them in huge bags, with plenty of water, upside down with polysterine the works... These few corals weighed in at 16kg!!!

SO, I went to the Post Office. They charged me R520 to ship to CT, and it would arrive their today only. Then after five minutes they phone me back, telling me I need to come take it back, as they are not allowed to transport any type of livestock. I tried to explaine to them what it was, and that is was not like a parot or dog, but they said that is the rules.

I got my money (which Maj had already paid inot my account by then) and went to Postnet. They told me I had to get a "bill of good health" report from a marine vet (wtf???) and get a special permit to transport it. How do you recon a JHB vet would examine a Menella Gorgonian? :lol:

So then I called Maj and told him I'm gonna fly it down. I drove to the airport, to SAA Cargo at around 16h00. They guy asked me what was inside, and I told him coral. He said "cool" and slapped a livestock sticker on the box (no other questions asked.) He said it would arrive at CT by 20h00 and weighed the EXACT same 16kg, yet the cost was only R176!!! That is a huge difference...

My advice to anyone, wanting to ship fish or coral (or your mother in law) go with SAA Cargo.

Why?

* Gets loaded onto next available flight, so it arrives anywhere in S.A within hours
    * No hassle with permits and crap no-one has ever heard of...
    * The cost is about 4 times cheaper

I will be much more comfortable to ship now that I know they are so cheap and good!!!

KUDO's to SAA Cargo!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. robertkukla

robertkukla

My advice to anyone, wanting to ship fish or coral (or your mother in law) go with SAA Cargo.

do they go to the moon:slayer:

4. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

can you explain to us exactly where is SAA cargo?

5. Jaak

Jaak

I've also had the same experience with them. What a pleasure!!

6. gMAN

gMAN with the plan

on the R24 towards PTA, Take Voortrekker of ramp (after OR Tambo exit) then turn right and straight thru...:thumbup:

7. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman Thread Starter MASA Contributor

Ziyaad, if you drive on the R21 towards pta, you take the Kemton Park offramp, turn right, and go under the highway. Then go back towards Boksburg direction parallel to the highway. If you carry on straight with that road, you will see a huge warehouse on your left (highway is on your right) and that warehouse is marked SAA Cargo - cant miss it. Then just ask them for directions where to drop off a package for shipping, and the guys will show you the ropes. It takes about 5 minutes then your package gets taken to the plane...

REALLY a treat and so cheap.

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

awesome thanks gents lets wait for the time when i can ship or collect frags

9. Adee

Adee

I agree, I have accepted and sent stuff via SAA Cargo....my only problem is finding time to get to the airport.

10. maj

maj

Jaco,that was an excellent way that u packagad the coral,hardly any water leaked and the polysterine ensured the corals were submerged in water all the time.
    Very nice service from SAA Cargo,got ther at 8pm,left with my package by 8:10pm.

As for price of shipping and travel time......SAA CARGO:thumbup:,much better option than PO

11. chikaboo

chikaboo

Great thread but this only applies if you have an airport nearby ..... we have an air strip in Newcastle:lol: We would have to clear half of Newcastle to allow SAA Cargo to land here by us:razz:

12. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

You can ship to PMB and collect. Takes me 1 hour + to get from 8 k's away from OR, so from your sleepy town it should be a easy peasy. :)

13. chikaboo

chikaboo

He he PMB is 270km's away which by the way is the closest Pet shop that has anything marine related

14. Trev

Trev

Great job guys and great thread

Trev

15. LuckyFish

LuckyFish MASA Contributor

Lanzo and Frans, take note!

16. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Yup also a bit miff as to all the ...... Re getting LS. I think it is time to consider something, firstly for my requirements and then for those wanting specials. Did not want to go this Route but maybe the time is right. Hmmmm.. Hmmm..

17. chikaboo

chikaboo

Meaning you will get a private jet and scoot around the country for those of us that live the middle of nowhere .... Thanx NJ ... you a star!

18. FransSny

FransSny

Jaco ,

we spoke this morning, after that i gave SAA a call, a few factors has an influence on the price...flight times ,, availability etc etc

What I am saying..dont take this as the norm ;)

19. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Ok will see if it can be done.

20. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

21. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Recent Posts