Best Places To Buy Marine Fish

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Fishfood, 15 May 2009.

1. Fishfood

Fishfood

What are your opinions on the best place to buy marine fish and inverts in JHB

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Warr7207

Warr7207

Idol Marine have a very nice selection at the moment. If you prepared to drive a bit Petstop has an even bigger offering.

4. Wetty

Wetty Rockford Fosgate Fish

Exotic pets and aquariums has the best selection on average in the boksburg areas.

5. TurboSnail

TurboSnail

Where's Petstop based? I lived fairly close to Midrand so I'm going to visit Idol Marine soon :)

6. Warr7207

Warr7207

[​IMG]

Pet Stop SA Home Page

Shop no 15/17 Rietfontein Pavilion Centre. C/O Jacobs str and Frates rd Rietfontein Pretoria

7. FransSny

FransSny

Fishfood ,

I have been to all these and heres my 2C

Depends on wht you are looking for firstly wrt LS as i have noticed that everybody has more or less their niche in what they bring in

Secondly, do you just want to go buy something quickly or talk about the hobby as a whole

Thirdly read up about other peoples experiences with LFS's

i personally would rather decide what i want, have it kept untill I can get to the particular LFS than just "take a drive' and buy something on impulse

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

said brilliantly Frans, I would say Idol Marine are awesome not the largest selection but all fish are kept in hypo salinity and eat

9. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

all the shops mentioned have "good" fish .... but as frans said, the onus is on you to ensure the stock is in good condition..... check that they are eating properly etc etc

Also make sure that you know how to properly acclimate the stock !!!

10. AndrévN

AndrévN

Wazeers aquarium at the boksburg flea market. Pet masters in boksburg.

Benoni aquarium and pets

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Jul 2009
  11. Wetty

Wazeers stock is ok....but their marines look very depro to me, then again they arent the main focus like the fresh water livestock is.
    Benoni pets n aquariums has very nice stock....but once in a blue moon they have something amazing. Also their quality of livestock is not too bad...but iv never bought there though.

Petmasters is only good for hardware coz they have a massive selection....although there are never any prices on their goods ever. Their livestock is always sick and never last past three days. STAY AWAY!!!!
    I also dont agree with a pet shop that colours their fresh water livestock with food colouring, where do u ever get a pink, purple, blue, red, etc goldfish? Same goes to the rest of their fish.
    The best in Eastrand is Exotic pets and aquariums.... I only buy there.

Last edited by a moderator: 9 Jul 2009
  12. AndrévN

AndrévN

Wazeers - if you get to know Mohammed he can organize you anything you want. And cheaper than elsewhere, except food etc. that " will " be cheaper at pet masters.

Benoni pets no comment i dont know them well enough to comment.

Petmasters - i do agree to a certain extent but ive bought some nice stuff there and mine is still alive - have a look they are upgrading their marine tanks that might change the situation.

Exotic pets - They are expanding the marine section have you seen. They have excellent stock i agree 100% but they are very expensive especially on the corals but well worth the money. Apparently they are also gonna open a shop in the Villeria area close to some other sponsors. That would be good i think expanding a bit, the more stock you import the cheaper you can sell it. :biggrin: And then they will be importing their own stock and wont be buying off some other importer. Cheap cheap. The guys there is friendly and very helpfull.

13. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Guys - I really appreciate you all trying to assist.

BUT, please rather supply this information to the person asking, in PM. We as MASA have an obligation to our paying sponsors, to advertise them. And not to advertise other LFS's.

Please PM FishFood rather. I will delete the "non-sponsor" information.

We don't mind the LFS names, but not addresses and telephone numbers, please?

14. crispin

crispin

i for one would buy from a lfs that specilaises in marines opposed to those that have a marine section. To my mind the three best in gauteng are all sponsors on here, Idol marines, Dory pets and Pet stop and i would drive considerable distances to be able to get LS from them, and have the ability to discuss with them the LS they have on here before actually purchasing.

Developing a personal relationship with a marine supplier that you can trust and that knows your tank is invaluable in the long run. It can be slightly more expensive in the short term (some LFS will run discounts to move stock and to sell stock as soon as it lands, which is precisely the stock that has a poor survival rate) but in the long term this is by far the best relationship to cultivate.

ive always enjoyed Dory pets under Lanzo's ownership and I would trust pretty much anything that Rob from idol Marine says. To me you really would be well off supporting these sponsors and they have quality applicable equipment and great LS.

exotics have a good reuptation buildt on long term success, but id still go with any of the three mentioned above.

Note I am just chatting about the guateng LFS as fish food is from that area.

Also i used to love LFS hopping on a sunday and i have possibly been to the majority of marine suppliers on the rand.

I would also add in here that I would sooner support a fragged coral from a local reefer a long time before purchasing from any LFS.

15. Wetty

:biggrin::biggrin: sorry

16. jacquesb

No problems Wetty. As long as you guys know now.

17. AndrévN

AndrévN

(some LFS will run discounts to move stock and to sell stock as soon as it lands, which is precisely the stock that has a poor survival rate

My point excatly. Just think they mark it up 200% and then give you a landing discount. I bought some stock like that and its a gonner just like the discount.

I would also add in here that I would sooner support a fragged coral from a local reefer a long time before purchasing from any LFS.

Ill support you 100% here. Good point. :1:

18. AndrévN

AndrévN

Sorry jacquesb didnt know about the numbers and all.

19. jacquesb

No probs Max. At least you too know now.

Recent Posts