Best overflow method?

RiaanP

Reaction score
What is the best method for a overflow box?

Corner unit, Waterfall, must have Durso and use prime real estate. Crap collects at the bottom (must pull durso to flush) .

Overflow box in the middle at the back, access problems. Can not see what is going on inside!

C2C - corner to corner. Like a shelf running full length at the back of the tank. With drain in the middle. No space for Durso, can not be silenced. Great surface skimming. Terrible access to circulation pumps at the back. Use a lot less space than a box.

Overflow Suction / Syphon box... hmmm... Syphon stops, dry sump - overheat pump -flooded display tank - angry wife. Give you lots of real estate.

What is the best?
Or is this to your own personal taste.

My choice would be C2C bracing with an external overflow box and Durso. Should the external box be shallow, then a Durso would not be required.

Riaan have a look at the overflow in punks new tank. I think it is really good. Its small, takes up minimal space. Quiet. If there is any noise you change the flow of your return pump. Its similiar to the one i have one the 2m. On the 1.2m i have a bulky side overflow with a durso. Its bulky and gets in the way of stuff for me and i think i would have done stuff differently had i built the tank. The c2c overflow needs an extremely level tank or it will warp and break. I also thin a centre back overflow is nice if you end up having a wave maker. So i think a mixture of the slim one from punks thread and a centre overflow would be good. But it does suck in that you cant see whats going down it. But in the end, do you really want to? if its working why not leave it at that?

Nice idea of Punk. Excellent, unless something goes into that 10mm gap. Else I like it.

But Mekaeel mentions an external overflow box.
So how about combining the C2C with a external box that is a Scrubber? No Durso or short Durso in bottom of scrubber box. Depending on the space at the back, and the lights used, it can have lightning from one or both sides. But have the side closest to the tank black. So you can not see it.

But Mekaeel mentions an external overflow box.
So how about combining the C2C with a external box that is a Scrubber? No Durso or short Durso in bottom of scrubber box. Depending on the space at the back, and the lights used, it can have lightning from one or both sides. But have the side closest to the tank black. So you can not see it.
well a scrubber in the overflow box is a good idea, tried it but it ended up not having enough space to be effective but if you are designing stuff then you can fix that, will you make it a side overflow or back? because you said before that you had issues with trying to reach the back etc. so maybe go for a side c2c overflow

here's the 200mm wide full C2C external overflow box i built for my 800 cube :)

cube1.gif

cube2.gif

cube3.gif

Yes Scubaninja.
In the back will be better to hide it, but then everytime you need to clean the scrubber, even check it, you have to pull the wet cloth sheet mess over your tank and back. After you got the canopy and lights out of the way... So Sides or one side will be better. But then less viewing angles...
Why is nothing simple?

Yes Scubaninja.
In the back will be better to hide it, but then everytime you need to clean the scrubber, even check it, you have to pull the wet cloth sheet mess over your tank and back. After you got the canopy and lights out of the way... So Sides or one side will be better. But then less viewing angles...
Why is nothing simple?
ya i was leaning to the side overflow. In terms of viewing angles. maybe a corner overflow will be better then? it will still allow most of the side pane to b viewed, you can cover it with rocks etc. i guess everything has to be a compromise...:whistling:

Punk, how did you silence that overflow? Or did you control the flow to the sump with a ball valve?

I though that I can use gravity that is there for free with the overflow and the height from the overflow to the top of the sump as area for a scrubber.
I got quoted R600 for a simple 75mm by 125mm by 550mm using 3mm persplex box to house my light unit for the scrubber idea I have currently in my overflow.
Imagine the quote for a proper box of at least 550wide 150 depth and however high!

Punk, how did you silence that overflow? Or did you control the flow to the sump with a ball valve?

I though that I can use gravity that is there for free with the overflow and the height from the overflow to the top of the sump as area for a scrubber.
I got quoted R600 for a simple 75mm by 125mm by 550mm using 3mm persplex box to house my light unit for the scrubber idea I have currently in my overflow.
Imagine the quote for a proper box of at least 550wide 150 depth and however high!

2 x durso stand pipes, why don't you build it out of normal glass, much cheaper?

For my current setup, a scrubber will be like a hang on unit. To keep the weight down
But for future tank, can be of glass, permanently attached. The small box I wanted, yeah will do it with glass.

Riaan - C2C actually stands for "coast to coast" - but your version is DEFINITELY applicable and original!

BTW: this would seem to be the ABSOLUTE best - to enable the top 0.5cm of your WHOLE water surface layer to be skimmed off, and taken down to the skimmer!

C2C - corner to corner. Like a shelf running full length at the back of the tank. With drain in the middle. No space for Durso, can not be silenced. Great surface skimming. Terrible access to circulation pumps at the back. Use a lot less space than a box.
You left out one option: Overflow weir on side of tank... has all the benefits of a c-to-c, but allows easy access, can be made as deep and wide as you like, and takes up minimal space - been using it for years :thumbup:

Hennie

Ive tried all the various overflows throughout my years of building tanks and the best one Ive come across so far is the wall outlet mad by TUNZE. This outlet skims 50% tank water and 50 surface water. Not all the scum floats on the surface that's why I like this outlet so much. It is also super silent, you hear nothing form the water running down the pipe. Its real easy to install - just drill one hole in your rear glass pane and fit the unit.

293494c86471657c.jpg

293494c869ce54b2.jpg

Ive tried all the various overflows throughout my years of building tanks and the best one Ive come across so far is the wall outlet mad by TUNZE. This outlet skims 50% tank water and 50 surface water. Not all the scum floats on the surface that's why I like this outlet so much. It is also super silent, you hear nothing form the water running down the pipe. Its real easy to install - just drill one hole in your rear glass pane and fit the unit.

Going by the dimensions posted above, that's about 70mm of water "head" which will flow down to the sump when the power goes off - one would need a HUGE sump capacity to handle all that water...

Hennie

Nope Reef Maniac,
The pipe from the bottom abviously gpo up all the way and are level with the teeth bottom. So power goes out, normal "head" as any other overflow will go to the sump.

I like the concept. Now just depends on the price of this Tunze overflow box.

Else the concept can easily be copied into normal overflow boxes, like a standpipe going up, level with the overflow rim.

The pipe from the bottom abviously gpo up all the way and are level with the teeth bottom. So power goes out, normal "head" as any other overflow will go to the sump.

This outlet skims 50% tank water and 50 surface water.

I'm sorry, but then something does not add up...

The total wet (flow-through) area of the surface skimmer is 1818 mm², and that of the pipe from the bottom is only 380 mm² - if they are at the same water level (head...), how can the pipe supply 50% of the water, and the surface skimmer 50%? The ratio should be approximately 80% surface skimming : 20% tank water, based purely on the wet areas (which is not the correct way to calculate the flow, but should suffice as an approximation)...

Hennie

Back
Top Bottom