Best method for GHA

Discussion in 'Nuisance Algae' started by maj, 1 Jul 2010.

1. maj

maj

Ok,Due to me adding some LR(the missus thought we needed more) to my display thinkin that it was fully cured and at the same time adding more intense lighting to my tank,I had a huge cyano outbreak which then faded and a huge GHA breakout to occur.

I have been doing the weekly waterchanges now and built myself a decent Algae scrubber.Scrubber has started taking shape with some red algae then formed into green algae.Also added some phos remover and been feeding the inmates much less.

I thought by adding a nice lawnmower blenny,he will assist by clearing up the GHA but the guy decided that he doesnt like eating GHA(been in ther about 2 weeks now)

So my question is,how do I effectively scrape off the GHA,without really getting that algae to float all over the display and lodging onto corals,into crevices and hard to reach places?

any idea's????

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

'Inmates' haha, i prefer the term 'guests'. My bi colour blenny is cheeky and has decided he likes pellets and brines more than algae. When my base rock was a bit covered in algae, i removed the rock and did some scrubbing with a toothbrush in a separate bucket of NSW to keep everything alive and well, never scrubbed actual live rock though

4. maj

maj Thread Starter

Well i also have a bi colour blenny in,he never touched the algae ever.

Oh yes,forgot to mention that removing the rock from the display is going to be too much of a mission.Even my surgeon doesnt even nibble on the rocks....they get too spoilt with other food options i guess

Most of my GHA is issue is on the back pane of the tank,so that is my main concern.

5. Sentari

Sentari

Only way is to cook the rocks. I've been battling with GHA for ages. I'm slowly cooking my rocks to get rid of them. When i say cooking the rocks i mean putting them into my sump where it is dark and leaving it there. Most of the rocks have been cleared out by doing this.

6. Sentari

Sentari

Buy yourself a glass scraper. They work well. Just turn off all your pumps and scrape the back glass and collect the algae.

7. maj

maj Thread Starter

i cooked my rocks for the byropsis issue i had when i started up,but i want to remove the GHA with as little of it spreading over my tank whilst i remove it.

maybe just easier to siphon it off?

8. JD167

JD167

I also did the scraper method. My Sailfin never touched the GHA until I scraped it off the glass and it was floating around in the tank. Had a nice meal.

9. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I have a big container that I use, added a filter sock and create a siphon. Then I cut the algae with scissors (yes it is very long). As it comes lose, it gets sucked in by the siphon and dumped into the filtersock. Once the container is full I just pump the clean water back into the tank and repeat the process.

10. maj

maj Thread Starter

that is a great idea:thumbup:

I dont want to throw away that water as its barely few days old.
    mine isnt that bad,wher i need to cut it with a scissor:p

thnks

11. Sentari

Sentari

Great idea but remember GHA is a strain. it can sometimes be in the water and just re-attach and carry on going.

Please correct me if i'm wrong but happened to me.

12. Dane

Dane

magnesium dosing anyone?

13. Sentari

Sentari

Dane explain. Do you know if this works 100%?

14. Dane

Dane

I don't. but I just recently had a thread on getting rid of bryopsis - and the pros suggested magnesium. If it kills bryopsis, then surely gha will be obliterated...

15. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Higher levels of magnesium has no effect on GHA.

16. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Take the pipe you use to siphon for water changes and attach either a scraper or a toothbrush to the end with cable ties. It must just go past the opening of the pipe. The scraper or toothbrush can be above or below the pipe - whatever works best in your tank and rock angles.
    Then when you do a water change, you brush the rocks or scrape the glass and the algae will be sucked up one time. Then chuck the water with the algae bits - you are doing a water change afterall ;)

17. maj

maj Thread Starter

:thumbup::thumbup:

il try to make this gadget this aftn

18. Suhayl

Suhayl

Tell me how you guys get gha. I never had in my 11 years of reefkeeping. People say the use of sandstone but I never had a problem. What I do is run carbon all the time, waterchanges. Feeding is very important, once a day little can do. UV can also help. You can remove the rocks and run in a dark place doing waterchanges and scraping the rocks. Try Rowasphos that will help also. Check nitrates and phosphates all the time.

19. maj

maj Thread Starter

My GHA defnitly came form adding uncured rock to my display tank,iwas told it fully cured:nono:

Ok,so i took Tobes advise with adding the the filter sock to the scrapper.It didn work as efficiently as i hoped but it did pull alot of GHA out tho.
    Then used another sock to filter the water that i siphoned back into the tank.
    Did a small waterchange aswell.

So lets hope it clears up as i reduced feeding in hope of the foxface,surgeon and lawnmower start eating the small bits

20. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

I never said to add a filter sock to the scraper. I said attach the scraper or brush to the pipe that you siphon with and throw the water away as you're doing a waterchange anyway. If done right with the right size pipe, it works very well :)

21. maj

maj Thread Starter

sorry,typo on myside i did attach the syphon tube to the scraper but still missed alot of GHA,but still worked well in the end.
    Just removed the free floaters with a net.
    thnks

Recent Posts