Best Marine Fish Shopping - Johannesburg (Sandton)

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Henri Laurie, 8 Aug 2010.

1. Henri Laurie

Henri Laurie

Hi All

I am officially a "newbie" and this will be m first post, hello to all :peroni:

I have just recently started my "Marine Aquarium Obsession" and must say, I am loving it... I am starting small and have purchased a BOYU TL-450 as my start-up set... I am hoping to upgrade to the NEW Red Sea Max 500 :thumbup:(incredible release from Red Sea) within the next few months, after which the TL-450 will become my "Hospital" tank.

Now for the big question, where is the absolute best place to buy marine fish / corals etc in Johannesburg? (I live in Sandton) I am interested in Emperor Angels and other exotic species (for for the MAX 500 of course) I have been to Sandton Aquatics & Reptilians Bryanston, both were a bit disappointing.

I will really appreciate your advise.

Henri Laurie

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Hey and welcome to MASA! I would say the best places to shop in the Johannesburg/Pretoria region would be from our sponsors aka Pet Stop, Dorry pets, Idol Marine,etc, they are all great places to find what you need and they give great advise. If you want their address just go to the forum tab and search for sponsors. You can either just quickly look through their threads or just PM them for the address.

4. durleo

durleo

Welcome Henri

I think you should visit some of the sponsors - Im from Durbs and was very impressed with Lanzo/Tiger from Dorry Pets in pretoria/ Moolis in pretoria / Wild on Pets edenvale
    Idol MArine - centurion - Check out the sponsor on the main forum page

Congrats on the start of a great journey and may it be less painfull and more blissful:)

5. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to Masa, glad you joined. Some reading for you in the link below on starting a marine tank - enjoy!

6. Henri Laurie

Henri Laurie Thread Starter

Hi There

Ok, It's been 4 weeks since I have installed and cycled my BOYU TL-450, so far I have 3 x Clownfish, 1 x Long Nosed Butterfly Fish and 2 x Coral Beauty Angels, along with 3 x Hermits and a Yellow Banded Shrimp... all is happy thus far !!

I do have one question though, when the lighting in my tank is off, the water appears quite yellow... is this something to worry about? what cause the water to "yellow" like that?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Henri

7. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

i would have to say the shops to vist are in no particular order

Idol Marine
    Exotic aquariums
    Pet stop
    Dorry pets
    Wild on Pets
    Benoni Aquariums

8. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

Henri , sorry for sounding funny here man , but it seems that your system is very new, perhaps let your tank settle down more before adding anything more, you will tank my in the long run.

WRT the yellow water, have you been using RO water? from your own machine or bought?

9. gaboon

gaboon

Definitely stocking too quickly, I would monitor your ammonia and nitrite levels closely, especially with inadequate skimming in the Boyu nano's. I recommend shooting the petshop salesman that has been advising you:).

Have you been doing waterchanges?

10. Pistolshrimp

Pistolshrimp

Welcome to the hobby man, i agree with the other guys, also 3 clowns, is not good, when a pair forms, they will kill the outcast, and the coral beautys shouldnt give u trouble but i wouldnt recommend 2 of them in such a small tank, could cause territory battles, but welcome, you can learn here so u dnt make mistakes in the future,

11. Trev

Trev

Not very surprised by this Henri as unfortunately these boyu tanks are only just able to provide enouth filtration to support a lightly stocked tank

But you have chosen some very nice livestock although the fly might be a challenge for a new tank and a new keeper but hey lets see how you do with him now that you have him

To the other guys rather ask some other questions before giving the new guy the old you did this and that wrong. The reason I am saying this is that if Henri was using prodibio fauna marine or any other top brand additive to control the amount of toxins and rapidly establish active bacterial colonies then there would be no issue with what he has done but Henri if this is not the case then I suppose the chaps are correct in saying that you have added to much to fast, so give us more details on how you went about the last four weeks with this tank.

When you do upgrade to a tank that is in the same ball park as the red sea max then you will understand how under capable these boyu tanks are.

Trev

12. gaboon

gaboon

I assume this was directed at me...

Being a newbie I doubt he would be experimenting with a bacteria driven system just yet. I gave an opinion, recommended close monitoring and asked if he's doing waterchanges.

13. Trev

Trev

Ahh I must then also app as I am not guilty of reading your whole post only the first few words

14. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

LOL me too Trev? i have to agree with gaboon on this.

15. Trev

Trev

If you guys are refering to a newby using prodibio ( Im not sure ) its actually desingend for from begginer to advanced level as all it involves is cracking open th eright vial and dosing it into the tank which I like very much but the lieks of fauna marine is another story and not as easy to use

16. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I'm more worried about a longnose butterfly, 2 coral beauties and 3 clowns in a TL-450. That is 60L of water with a lot of fish, of which 2 are small angels.

Last edited by a moderator: 23 Aug 2010
  17. Trev

Trev

what only 60L I thought those tanks carried double that at least:(

18. snail

snail

i thought it is 12-13 gallons 45-50 liters

19. Henri Laurie

Henri Laurie Thread Starter

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hi All

I must say, all my fish are enjoying tank life... they are happy, feeding and swimming around calmly, I have similar concerns re: overstocking, having said that, I will be moving all my life stock to a Red Sea Max 250 within the next 2 to 3 months, after which the BOYU will become a "hospital" tank... I must say, I do agree with you on the BOYU, its actually quite shit , especially the skimmer... what a load of crap.

What is your opinion on the Red Sea MAX 250? also... Red Sea recently launched a awesome new system... the RED Sea MAX 500... incredible piece of equipment (see attached pictures)[​IMG]

20. sweetnsour

sweetnsour

the red seamax tank is far better than the boyu's

21. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

erm this 500 will only be made next year so expect it in sa in 2012

Recent Posts