Best Light for Corals - forget aesthetics

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Norman_the_fish, 24 May 2010.

1. Norman_the_fish

Norman_the_fish

Hi All,

I am somewhat confused by all the information out there on lighting, from 10K to Halides etc.. my question is, if you just wanted to grow your corals, not worried if your tank looks pee yellow or sc fi blue, what K-rating would be the best for your corals, i'm gonna take a guess that it would be closer to the pee yellow colour of 6000K? If so would, frag tanks could work quite well with CF (6400K) often for sale in hardware stores for less than R70?

Thanks,
    N

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

yes 6400K will be the best for just growth. we use the 8800K osrams and supplement with Blue and actinic awesome growth and looks

4. Manic

Manic Moderator

It really depends on the coral you are trying to grow. For sps you will get better growth from the 6500K globes, I posted some pics of the growth of sps under 6500K MH, where as most soft corals grow better under actinic lighting. It really depends on the depth of the coral in its natural habitat.

5. neil.h

neil.h

Anybody running 6500k T5 tubes on their DT? Thinking of mixing 3 with 3 Skywhites and 2 actinics for Softies, Zoas and easier LPS's

6. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

It will be very very yellow but promoth awesome growth

7. neil.h

neil.h

Coming from bathwater, that won't be an issue ;) Growth is what i'm after

8. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Hi Norman the fish... This is not just a simple "lower k is for better growth..." It is much more complicated. Let my complicate it a bit more for you... ;)

Saltwater absorbes most red frequency light, thus blue spectrum penetrates much further into the water. 6400K is very far from blue...

Read the following thread and keep it in mind. Lower K does promote growth yes, but only to a certain small extent... You will need blue too...

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=15099

9. Jaco Schoeman

Oh, and also... Lower K ratings allow for much better algae growth too... Hence the reason I use 3000K on my ATS.

Be careful not to just go with as lowe K as possible. IMO, get yourself Geisemann Aquablue + T5's. They are balanced nicely.

10. Norman_the_fish

Norman_the_fish Thread Starter

thanks Jaco for the info and further complicating matters..hehe.. i'm primarily lookin at softies and mayb LPS, hoping to create a very low tank with 'cheaper' lighting options such as CF rated at 6400K to hopefully bump up the growth.

11. Jaco Schoeman

Norman, let us take mushrooms as an example.

Brown mushrooms are generally shallow water mushrooms, as the algae inside adapts to the heavy amounts of red light it receives.
    Blue and green mushrooms are deeper, where it gets blue spectrum light.

Thus you can not just keep both colors in one tank hoping they all do the same. You might actually tweak the color of the blues to turn brown...

Bright colored zoa's are from shallow waters, where greens and blues come from deeper water in the same way.

Make sense? That is why it's best to cater for both. Also, the light output (lumens per watt) is not really enough to feed the frags as MH or T5 or even sunlight would... ANother drawback to using CFL's on corals.

They can work yes, but you might get better and faster grwoth from more intense lights like MH or T5.

12. Dane

Dane

I use two cheap energy-saver 6500k CFL globes balanced with two actinic T8s on my little nano and everything is doing fine, even my frogspawn. Will probably add another CFL or two tho. I could never run the tank without actinics... it looks awful! I think CFLs are a bit underated for growth tho... Check my tank in my sig if you're interested - although that thread is in dire need of an update!!

13. Manic

Manic Moderator

Just be careful with judging the frog spawn by extension. The more a frog spawn is extended just shows that it is searching for light. Over extension of lps corals often leads to death in the long run.

Dane likes this.
  14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

What is the Expected PAR at coral depth?

15. Dane

Dane

Eeek! Dont say that about my frogspawn!!! It doesnt look like its overextending... just looking nice and open. Thats it, putting the third CFL on tonight!!!

;-) thanks for the advice!

Recent Posts