best led article ive read!

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mandarinman, 8 Nov 2011.

1. mandarinman

mandarinman

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Jul 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dane

Dane

Thanks for posting bud. Went to sams and was surprised to see those LED strips on their main display tank! I spose thats a test of note! How are yours coming along? Any noticeable changes? D

4. mandarinman

mandarinman Thread Starter

What did you think of the leds then? My zoanthids are getting better colours slowly but surely and the clam is bluer

5. Dane

Dane

They weren't running when I got there - ebrahim said they were waiting for drivers. I popped into an LED supplier my dad is working with (he is in renewable energies) and chatted with them about reef lighting LED applications. He showed me some 7000k surface mounted LED lights that visually were very impressive - but not sure how they'd do with corals. He is interested in doing some trials etc.

6. mandarinman

Cool

7. Yuri

Yuri

this weekend i was at IMACSA
    1 of the topics was LED's

the problem that thy (Mark Vera & Anthony Calfo ) told us is it working in to narrow light range to use properly on corals
    LED's are mostly made for human eye's so thy will look brighter

thy still recommended metal halide as the best lighting method ( it works in a wide light range )

8. mandarinman

I think all of us would gladly use halides if electricity was cheaper and they gave off less heat

pXius likes this.
  9. pXius

pXius

I agree, if cost was no issue I'd hang 3x 400W mh's above my tank. That however means I'll need a chiller as well. So the running cost of the Mh and a 1000W chiller combined with bulb changes would kill me.

Until the next big thing comes along I'll be on LEDS.

mandarinman likes this.
  10. Yuri

Yuri

thy also told us with the wider lenses on the led's the less efficient the led's are
    thy also told us metal hailed only loos there effectiveness after 2.5 years
    the new led's are coated with the same stuff (i can not remember the name ) that make T5 globs be changed so much . This meant that the long live the led's had do not exist any more

I will also chat ask Jake Adams questions tonight in on gtalk

11. Mc

Mc

I know these guys are the pros, but if you look at what alot of people on here have experienced with leds they do seem to have a tremendous growth rate and I disagree with them saying that the light range is too narrow as other tests show a narrow range within a specific wavelength is better and most of the other wavelength goes to waste. I think it depends very much on the leds you get as their is such a wide range and most are not suited to aquariums but those that are seem to do the job really well. But hey thats just my opinion.;)

12. pXius

pXius

Unfortunately they are correct about the light range being narrow. The highest par reading for instance are found 90 degrees under LEDS. The light emitted from the sides are way less effective, BUT there is a workaround. Use more. Thats why we use large amounts of LEDS over an aquarium, the more surface area you can cover, the more PAR loaded light will reach the bottom of the tank.

So yes, halides do have a better range when you compare a MH bulb to a single LED chip. But no one will use just one chip so I'd say that the light range part of their argument is invalid.

Take a well known Reef LED brand like Ai Sol. They have some of the best units available on the market and even they recommend one of their LED bricks per foot. Compared to MH which covers on average 2-3 feet.

Point is when used correctly, LED will not suffer from light range.

13. Mc

Mc

Nice article thanks mandarinman.:thumbup:

14. mandarinman

This is turning into the discussion like we had on led strips! I was bombed for having lots of leds and it being 16 watts now the same guys are punting 18 watts as being alright on another thread. i think leds are going to be discussed a lot in the near future lol. this is in agreememt with you by the way.

15. Yuri

Yuri

I had a nice long chat with Jake Adims
    He told me calfo had a led test about 4 years back

And that LEDs work good he has been using them for 2 years

williet likes this.
  16. Mc

Mc

I think leds are going to be a controversial topic for a long time, but its good to discuss and hear each others opinions.

mandarinman likes this.
  17. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi Yuri

I agree, but one thing that Calfo pointed out which is very true is that I do not believe that the "Advertised" life of an LED is correct. To get LED's to shine the correct spectrum, they have to cover them with a phosphorous compound. This like and other light like this would burn out after a while. What would be interesting is how long??? Any comments from Jake on this?

18. Yuri

Yuri

Calfo told us that only the white color LEDs are coated. I think in the hobby blue is used a lot more and the heatsinks keep the heat away from the LEDs that in turn help the phosphorous compound stay on a lot longer

19. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

hmmmm I am not sure anymore.. did he make any recommendations ? Jake that is ?

20. Yuri

Yuri

Yes I will watsapp it to you

Recent Posts