Best food for angels

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by magman, 15 Aug 2010.

1. magman

magman

Hi Guys, I got my two new angels, an emp and a queen, and what are the best foods for them besides my LPS,

What do they prefer and whats best for them, should I be going more for frozen, flakes or pellets.

Thanks guys

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. deadmeat2016

deadmeat2016 Wouter

I reckn frozen brine at first just to get them eating, i dunno :whistling:

4. Trev

Trev

Well deadmeat is kinda right here most angels will peck at frozen brine but the brine has nowere near the nutritional value to support an angel but they seem to love the smell and taste as most fish do.

But for angels my best advice is to start with a fresh open half mussel this is also just as smelly and tasty to them but packs a punch as far as protein is concerned. But then you also need to consider that veg is an important factor in an angels diet. So after a few days of feeding you need to go with some veg and my best so far has been Ocean Nutrition spirulina flakes you cant beat it and fish do like it. If your fish is still feeding after about 10days then I would recomend switching completely over to the Ocean Nutrition Frozen Angel Mix which contains sponges. Now this stuff is amazing and when I got my Regal Angel a few weeks back I only used half a frozen block per week as this food doesnt break up or disolve away you can scrape off small bite sized pieces for the angel.

BTW what angel is it ?

Trev

5. magman

magman Thread Starter

Emp and Queen, I am happy cause they are pecking under the rocks, but they have not touched any of my LPS yet, and I got a buffet of LPS for them to choose. I have seen the emp grab a few flakes, Omega one, the Queen was interested but never took.

6. Trev

Trev

Ok well I have lots of experiance with an Emporer and IMO they are one of the easiest angels to feed as they are very greedy but unfortunately I have never kept a Queen Angel. What is it specificaly that they are eating off the rocks? is it sponge or is it algea or both. Generaly if they are feeding under the overhangs then its most likely sponges that they are feeding off and thats a very good thing

Trev

7. Andreas

Andreas

My Queen and Emperor angels meaty foods(hake, squid, prawns etc) and nori:)Flake foods were also readily accepted. Marco told me about the Ocean Nutrition Angel Mix that is apparently irresistible to resist. Maybe try and get hold of it and see if they like it;)Magman, I'm so jealous right now. My Queen and emperor were my favourite two fish and you got them both at the same time. If you want to get rid of them one day keep me in mind:)

8. magman

magman Thread Starter

Shot Boet, I was actually going to order this week from the sponsers, but lo and behold got both in Durban, and at a bargain as well.

I am stressing a bit cause the queen has like a rot on his top dorsal fins, I will actually start a thread now. I never agreed with quarentine tanks, but after discussing with Meks the other day, and going the more expensive fish route, I think I should of gone into quarentine route with them.

9. Andreas

Andreas

Quarantine is definately a good choice if you have the space and want to keep your existing livestock 100% safe from diseases that the new livestock might have. The risk of losing priced livestock is definately not something I would like to go through again so will always quarantine new livestock before adding them to my display tank;)Let's hope your new additions settle in nicely:thumbup:How big is the Queen angel?They are lovely when they reach adult stage. How much did you pay for him?

10. magman

magman Thread Starter

the Queen was R850 (adult) and emp R550, they had another Juvie Queen, but I think it was sold already. I was actually going to order from sponsors on wednesday this week, and I was expecting to pay atleast R2000 for an adult.

11. magman

magman Thread Starter

lol, it was actually your avatar that has made me want one!!!

12. Andreas

Andreas

:lol:good choice none the less:)

The prices you paid are really good, especially for the Queen. Please post a pic of him for me.

13. Andreas

Andreas

Love your avatar BTW:p

14. magman

magman Thread Starter

I still want a bi colour, regal angel, and two jumping beans. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. seank

seank

Nice Fish

16. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

awesome awesome fish. I saw a queen over the weekend at a sponsor for 1600. I reallllly want one as well but i need a promotion 1st

17. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

on the note of emporers what would be best for a tiny and i mean smaller then a R5 coin sized emporer? Clam on the half shelf as well? would it fresh in JHb?

Recent Posts