Best Feeding mechanism

Discussion in 'Water Parameters and Additives' started by mytank, 31 Aug 2011.

1. mytank

mytank

I didn't want to hijack @2time thread but I think its important for him too so I started a new thread along the lines of feeding. This is the best place I could find to put this. His original thread here,

So the debate is amount of feeding and also the type of food affecting the nutrient and phosphate levels in the tank.

If came from algae and cyano build up and I was refereing to how I changed my feeding for ten small fish from:

Morning: One cube of Marine Mix or Pure Mix and half a cube of Mysis.
    Evening : same as morning.

With that as a result twice or three times a week I was feeding cyclo-pleeze as well.

So what I was saying is I know this was affecting my phosphates and causing the blooms etc. and changed the feeding habits to:

Morning: Flakes
    During the day (while I am at work) I left Noori on the window which by the time I got home was gone.
    Evening: One cube of Marine Mix or Pure Mix and half a cube of Mysis.

@JsPLAYn gave some good advice about straining food (which I do right now as well) and also some suggestions around why different types of food etc see the quote below. So we are asking the experienced reefers @dallasg @leslie hempel @Tony @459b @RiaanP and @Reef Maniac and many others just got tired of copy and pasting ;)

to comment on some of our thoughts:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

spot on there, you can also soak your food in vitamins and HUFA,
    i take my cubes and soak them in garlic oil, vitamin c, amino acids and then strain and feed

4. pXius

pXius

where do you buy the vitamin oils etc?

5. dallasg

i use Brightwell VitaMarin-C and VitaMarin-M, AminOmega,

pXius likes this.
  6. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I believe in giving fish a variety of foods.
    My fish get flakes and pellets soaked in vitamins in the morning. They get the same in the evenings and every second evening they get frozen food, either angel formula or mysis. Then they get the odd bit of marine mix (squid, mussels, shrimp etc).

All frozen fod must be washed/rinsed before adding to the tank.

7. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

My fish are picky as hell they don't seem to like pellets it just drops to the bottom and the sand sifters have a field day

8. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Try different pellets. Or soak them in garlic (Seachem has a product called Entice that works very well).

9. Tony

Tony

I see a decent flake/pellet food as containing all the good stuff a fish needs and frozen food as a treat. I have found to feed less but more often the best. This if your lifestyle allows. The reason being is that a lot of food fed is wasted and left to breakdown in the tank. Yes an established tank will have a lot of critters to eat the leftovers but they still remian long enough to become a pollutant and can aggravate a N and P problem.

In ULNS systems that run on NP pellets, zeolites, probiotics etc a little more feeding than normal is required once the ULNS stage is reached. Although we dont want N and P in our system, certain amounts are necessary to feed corals and fish food and poop can provide this. In tanks with high nutrients already, one has to be more careful and straining frozen food liquids or feeding less will help but wont solve the root cause of the problem which one has to isolate and solve. The trick is to find the route cause of your N and P and get rid of them. The NP pellets, bacteria, zeolites and phosphate and nitrate sponges will help your tank water but if the source is external (like poor source water) then you're going to be fighting a losing battle. Look at every angle to find out where your problem is and eliminate everything one by one. In your tank I dont see a lot of fish and feeding so the problem has to lie elsewhere, like poor source water, not using RO water, live rock already high in phosphates which are leaching them into the system, inadequate skimming, poor water movement and infrequent water changes and GAC. The list goes on but this is an idea of what to look for.

10. mytank

mytank Thread Starter

Thank you Tony, Skimmer is a good one @dallasg you can have input here its a bubble magnus. So I think I am ok with a skimmer.

How do I test the RO water I get from my LFS .... in any case I should be getting my RO unit and refractor meter from @The WaterBoy. Do I test TDS and how do you test TDS???

Water movement is hectic so hectic is moving my sand.

So GAC?

Water changes every two weeks about 30% of that. I also dose Special Blend every week and Prodibia.... that should be helping right

11. Tony

Tony

You can test the RO water by doing a nitrate and phosphate test. To test the TDS you will need a meter that does this. Once you get your own RO unit from Marco you can be guaranteed of decent source water. He has units with built in TDS meters or else you can buy them seperately.

GAC being of vegetable/plant origin is high in phosphates. I recommend soaking the granular activated carbon in 90 degree ro water for 24 hours. Heat the water in a kettle and just before it boils turn it off. The carbon will fizz a bit but dont stress. Some brands guaranteed their carbon to be phosphate free like the Orca brand

The special blend and Prodibio are brilliant products but you need to add them at night and turn your skimmer off overnight. How often do you add the products? Adding vodka will also help with nutrient reduction. Start with a daily dose of 0.5ml per 100 litres for two weeks then increase it to 1ml per 100 litres thereafter. This will also help with nutrient reduction. Dont use vodka if you have cyano

Last edited: 1 Sep 2011
    Charl_Stanhope and dallasg like this.
  12. dallasg

Great advice given by tony

13. dallasg

Also phos can come from the rocks new corals are etc, so it might not be something one is doing

Tony likes this.
  14. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Whats best to use to strain frozen foods?

@459b what vitamins do you use and where do you buy them? The marine mix, do you blend it or chop it up and feed it?

15. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

buy a small cheap sieve,defrost frozen food in bit of r/o(I use tank water) water,strain into sieve,rinse with more r/o(salt water) and feed it to fish. That way you get rid of all the phosphates,nutrients which is quite a bit in frozen food. The marine mix you can blend on a pulse action,you dont want a mush,more chunky.depending on the size of your fish. the finer the more waste. When you buy marine mix,take out the (crab sticks),thats polony out of the sea. you can then add vitamins etc etc whatever you want to it. freeze it and use as you would with frozen food. I would also rinse it.

Last edited: 1 Sep 2011
  16. Tony

Tony

Get those old fashioned tea strainers from the supermarkets

17. Tony

Tony

On korallenzucht's website they recomend soaking aragonite substrate in ro water for a few weeks or months, not too sure to leach out phosphates. As Dallas mentiones, if the pet shop had a tank high in phosphates with your live rock in it, chances are the live rock has absorbed the phosphates and is now leaching it into your system causing all sorts of problems. Try the vodka with the bacteria additions and your nutrients should drop substantially

18. Keanan

Keanan 2time

Thanks Charl, will get a sieve asap, as I feed frozen everyday in the evening. What can I use for frozen plankton, they are very small or is the sieve fine enough?

19. Keanan

Keanan 2time

cool thanks Tony

20. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

you get very fine sieves,or you can buy pool gobbler socks and pull it over sieve and just tip it over and then use it.that way you can make sure you waste nothing but you get very fine sieves(tea strainers or something)dont know what they are called.

21. Keanan

Keanan 2time

I have of those pool gobbler socks and they work wonders on the overflow, too well if left too long.:boat::whistling: Must try it out.

Recent Posts