best calcium and magnesium supplements

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by student, 22 Jun 2012.

1. student

student

i have consistently struggled to maintain my calc and magnesium at the right levels this whole year and its getting supper frustrating!
    Seem to be going through supplements like anything, they aint cheap and dont seem to go far without reaching the desired result.
    my Mg is sitting at about: 1200ppm
    and Ca at 350ppm

so heres my question:
    which supplements would you recommend to get my calc n mg back up and then maintain it there?
    from a price and results point of view obviously
    or what are the other options other than racing through expensive buffers and supplements??

thanks!

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. pXius

pXius

I use Seachem's Reef Fusion 1 and 2 (The 2L bottle's can be picked up for around R280) for Alk and Ca. I'm still experimenting with a few different products for Mag and haven't really found something I like yet. I'm giving Red Sea's part C (The mag part) a shot next.

If you want to go the DIY route here's a link to cheaper chemical equivalents.

Chemical equivalents - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

As you probably know you need to get Mg up in order for Ca to rise.

Also I've found its much easier to keep levels high after doing a huge water change compared to getting them up from low levels like Ca-350 etc.

4. student

student Thread Starter

shot for the link- always up for cheaper diy methods.

so should the order be- get Mg up first and then Ca, or both at the same time?
    I just cant get it right, and its not like i have stax of sps chowing the Ca up

5. student

student Thread Starter

shot for the link- always up for cheaper diy methods.

so should the order be- get Mg up first and then Ca, or both at the same time?
    I just cant get it right, and its not like i have stax of sps chowing the Ca up

6. pXius

pXius

The best would be for you to read through these. Ca, Mg and ALk are all linked together and its crucial to understand how they influence one another to understand how to dose.

The explanation:
    A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Awesome Article on Ca and Alk supplementation:
    An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Another on Mg,
    Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I know its a bit of reading but you won't be sorry, it'll benefit your reef keeping for all time to come.

7. student

student Thread Starter

sheesh-that is a lot of reading;)

thanks man

8. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Get your magnesium up first, then calcium and then alk. But Ca and Alk is a balancing act as adding too much of the one will cause the other to go down.

9. student

student Thread Starter

jees the balance between these three is complicated.

my Alk is generally stable at around 9dKH. a bit high right now for some reason.

what do you use/do, @mariusmeyer ?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  10. JS

JS

I use NSW with regular changes....both are always in spec....;) If you guys want...I can overnight some for you....lol :p

11. shaunn

shaunn

i have got the red sea reef care supplements and the test kit have not uses it but seams to be easy to test and dose

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Well from what I can see and pretty much experienced is that the consumption ratio between alkalinity and calcium is roughly 2.8dkh : 20ppm calcium. So that means for every 2.8dkh of carbonates your tank consumes it will consume about 20ppm calcium.

The ratio between calcium and magnesium seems harder to pin point as the ratio is dependant on coral specie. Every few months I test mg and then dose over a period of a few days.

I currently follow Randy Holmes Recipe 2 using baked baking soda and pharmaceutical grade calcium chloride.

Last edited: 22 Jun 2012
  13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I am using the microblift supplements! :thumbup: Calcium Alk MG iodine and have had very good results.

14. Albert Terego

Albert Terego

Neither your Mag or Ca are too bad. Whatever you choose I'd recommend the powdered versions over any liquid additives - far more concentrated and value for money.

But really, for Magnesium Epsom salts is really the easiest and cheapest. I know people say they you canl mess up Sulphate/Chloride ratios long term, but nothing a good water change cannot sort out. Check out these articles by RH for a start

Do-It-Yourself Magnesium Supplements for the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/2/chemistry

Last edited: 22 Jun 2012
  15. Tremayn

Tremayn

I use diy supps and they do the job. Was like R550 for 25kg bags of bicarb, cal chloride and epsom salts

16. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

where do you store 75kg of supplements?

17. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I have been using microbelift alk,mg,ca for a month or 2 and Im happy. Much better than the previous supplements I used. Ive also used Red Sea sups and they are o.k. But diy seems to be the way to go!

18. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

You use old salt buckets.

19. Manic

Manic Moderator

My best tanks have been run solely on tropic Marin bio calcium. It contains alkalinity, calcium, magnesium and over 70 trace elements. It is really simple to use, all you do is add a spoon full of the stuff into the sump every morning or as needed.

It is a balanced supplement so the ratios never seem to change and you hardly ever need to add extra alkalinity or calcium or magnesium to the the tank.

20. 2balive

2balive

Hi

Here is a good web tool that will help you to understand and get your tank in balance. It also gives you the volume of each additive you need to add to reach your target zone.

IIS 7.5 Detailed Error - 404.0 - Not Found

As said, it is all about balance, rather than getting one reading up.

I also had good results with Reef Fusion and uses it now, also used C Balance before, great, but a bit expensive and difficult to find. I would nearly always used a balanced two part product.

In terms of magnesium I know only use Kent Marine Tech M Magnesium.

21. Clownfish9906

Clownfish9906

hey @mariusmeyer...where do you get the pharmaceutical grade calcium chloride from? I am interested in DIY supplements...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts