Berghia Nudibranch

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by blackghostknife, 14 Nov 2011.

1. blackghostknife

blackghostknife

Does anyone have these Berghia Nudibranch? cause I need them, I have a big problem with Aiptasia? oh and i did buy Aiptasia-x but im going to have to sit hours injecting each one of them!

Regards:thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 11 Apr 2016
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dlaria

Dlaria

I have those peppermint shrimp that are supposed to eat the evil A, but I've yet to see them actually do it. I'm still using X to try to kill one that's under an overhang. I bought these nudis on line in the US, but they are very sensitive/takes quite a bit of work to acclimate them. As soon as I got them in the tank, my Wrasse found and ate them. :censored:

Last edited: 14 Nov 2011
  4. mandarinman

mandarinman

Peppermint shrimps only eat aptasia if there are three or more pemmwrmint shrimp together

5. Jeann1

Jeann1

Hi @blackghostknife

As far as i remember, these guys are not available here.. someone wanted to breed them, but something or another happend.

The best solutions are :

True Wurdemani (peppermint) shrimps - but you need loads of them.. @RiaanP had about 15 and it worked.. 1 or 2 wont help here

Filefishes - they chow A's like crazy, but they tend to avoid strong streams of water.

Copperbands - but to get a healty one that will accept frozen foods is going to be a bit hard to find.. rather avoid them

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Copperband, stay away.
    filefish, I got one, and it really do not like the higher flow areas. So there I got loads of aiptasia.
    Peppermints, they work. I just need to move my infected rock over to the shrimp tank. Currently still doing a cleaning service for a buddy of mine.

7. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

8. seank

seank

Make sure you have the "real maccoy" - Lysmata wurdemanni

Peppermint Shrimp are opaque to creamy-clear in color, with red or maroon colored stripes running along the length of the body.
    Often misidentified or misrepresented and sold as the Camelback Shrimp (Rhynchocienetes uritai),or the Rhynchocinetes durbanensis these two species are NOT the same and should not be confused. This is the only TRUE Peppermint Shrimp

Lysmata wurdemanni

[​IMG]

Rhynchocinetes durbanensis

[​IMG]

Rhynchocienetes uritai

[​IMG]

Last edited: 14 Nov 2011
  9. seank

seank

Hope this helps ;)

10. seank

seank

11. blackghostknife

blackghostknife Thread Starter

Hi all

Thank you for all the feedback

Seank I almost bought the incorrect Peppermint shrimp on the weekend, thank you for the pics! :thumbup:

12. blackghostknife

13. Braco

Braco

I employed 3 peppers in my tank and they did absolutely nothing i sump them and purchased a six line wrasse who to my amazement ate the A's they dissapeared within the month..

14. blackghostknife

Really, so the six line wrasse does the job, maybe that must be the first fish we buy for the tank?

Good Idea? or Not?

15. Braco

Braco

Nope...your first fish should be a yellow tail damsel...or a few fresh water black mollies do the trick as well...your six line wrasse...would be added at a later stage...at least 6 months later i would say...

16. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Going to have to disagree with this.
    Dont buy hardy fish just becasue you want to test the water before adding something more expensive. Damsels in my opinion should not be added to any tank, and esp not first. They are aggressive little devils and will bully any fish that get added later (of course degree of bullying will depend on tank size).
    Adding mollies isnt a great idea. What do you do with the mollies when you decide theyve done their job?

17. Braco

Braco

Sure Damsels is terriers..but in a big enough DT they are fine..personally i have had no rude behavior whatsoever with my damsels..other than what i mentioned what would your entry /first fish be 459b..?

18. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

First entry level fish..depends what his fish wish list is. Best thing to do is sit down and draw up what fish you want and add them accordingly. Cant say your first fish must be x or y, those fish might not suit the overall setup and what he wants.

19. seank

seank

My pleasure :)

20. crispin

crispin

im afriad i dont go with that as good advice either. and i wouldnt reccomend a sixline wrass for aptasia controll either, they may eat bristle worms and keep the population in conbtroll but there are very few reports that I have personally read of sixline wrasses eating aptasia, also they tend to get aggressive after some time, unless in a large tank.

there is no reason to subject mollies to full salt water (SG of 1.025) just because they are cheap and can survive it, often only to be flushed once the person has had enough of them. its cruel inhumane and unrequired to cycle a tank!

the first fish added after a tank has completed its cycle should be in accordance with a dreawn out plan on what fish you intend to add later on and go with the more timid fish and smaller fish added before the larger or the more aggresive.

once a fish like a damsel which are known to be territorial claims a tank adding other fish later on will be difficult and can actually lead to the established bully killing off new tank mates. Planning a tanks LS is very important and add fish in an order that you have planned before hand.

21. robvdv

robvdv

Never seen one in the country. Normally you get L. boggessi. I've had a number of these (even raised the larvae some way) but never seen one eat an Aiptasia, although they're reputed to.

I brought in some Berghia. They bred successfully, but none of the eggs hatched and the adults died over the period of 2 months or so.

Good luck :)

Recent Posts