Ben's nano

Discussion in 'Nano Tanks' started by I.R.Ben, 4 Sep 2016.

1. I.R.Ben

I.R.Ben

Hi Everyone. This is going to be a blast of information in one or a couple of posts. I was not a member of MASA when I got my system. I only recently became part of this forum.

This thread will contain my mistakes and succeses from the past 4 months and as soon as the thread is up to date I will post updates when I add/change/notice something worth mentioning. I would also apreciate it if you guys could give feedback on this thread and if you want me to continue with it.

So lets start. I have had freshwater tanks for 6 years now. I got my first tank when I was 9 to keep frogs that I found in the garden in. It was a total fail. I then wanted to have freshwater fish. The first group of platies, neons, guppies and swords died because I switched off the heater at night(stupid mistake). I later mastered the art of hardy freshwater fish and then bought another 30l tank and a 90l. Five years later, after reading a book and watching BRStv videos I wanted a marine tank. After looking at some prices online I realised the harsh reality of the expences that this hobby holds, it was way to much for a 15 year old.

A while later my salvation came. After browsing on gumtree I found a boyu tl550 setup for sale. The setup included the following: Boyu tl550 tank with a diy led hood, 2xboyu submersible pump, a metal stand, sump, 10kg of aragonite, liverock, 2 hermits, nassarius snail(hope thats spelled right), a dottyback, heater, digital thermometer, 2 kenya trees, a toadstool, assorted mushrooms, palys and zoas(undiscovered at the time), hydor slim skimmer, seachem matrix, red sea marine care test kit, ammonia test kit, omega one pellets, nopox (still full), 4x 25l water containers, hydrometer, seachem salt(about 4kg) and a container to ship the live rock in.

All of this was for sale for R3000. It was a steal.

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. I.R.Ben

I.R.Ben Thread Starter

[​IMG]

The drive home from the guy I bought it from was about 1hour so I just did a quick scape and filled up the tank

4. I.R.Ben

I.R.Ben Thread Starter

[​IMG]

This was taken the next morning.

[​IMG]

I had no Idea what these funny white things were, they turned out to be palys.

[​IMG]

Five days later I bought 2 blue-green chromisses and a cleaner wrasse. Big mistake. First of all the dottyback was so agressive towards the new fish that they all stayed at the surface because he was "patrolling" the bottom. The cleaner wrasse died a couple of weeks later. The smallest chromis died a couple of days later and the bigger one lived for 1,5 months.

[​IMG]

I bought these 2 clarkii clowns and a bubble tip anemone a week or so later. The clowns were bought there to help maintain the agression of the dottyback. I bought them without inspecting them amd that night I noticed the one clarki was hyper ventilating and it died the next morning. The other clarki is still alive.

[​IMG]

I placed the anemone at the back of the tank and it moved up the wall. It was closed for two days and I then relocated it and it stayed where I put it.

5. I.R.Ben

I.R.Ben Thread Starter

[​IMG]

I now know that the anemone was bleached at the time.

[​IMG]

I found these funny things under a mushroom one night when it closed up. They were zoanthids. I glued them to a rock and there are 6 heads now.

[​IMG]

The anemone finally got its colour back.

[​IMG]

Here I have had the tank for a month.

6. I.R.Ben

I.R.Ben Thread Starter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are the first coral I bought that did not come with the system. I bought 1 pulsing xenia frag and 2 elkhorn frags.

[​IMG]

On 30 May I notices white spots on my dottyback. I decided to treat in with a freshwater dip and quarantine with an elevated temperature since I did not have any medisyne on hand. In order to catch it I had to remove all the rocks and when adding them I rescaped. This new scape was ugly...

[​IMG]

The bad thing now was that a couple of aiptasia anemones started to show their faces. They where mostly hidden until now. I bought myself a peppermint shrimp and luckily he took care of them all.

7. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Tank is coming along nicely!
    Is it running the normal Boyu skimmer or do you have another one in the sump?

8. I.R.Ben

I.R.Ben Thread Starter

I am running a hydor slim skimmer. The preformance is not as good as I would like.

Recent Posts