Bendor's DIY Phos Reactor

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by Bendor, 16 Feb 2013.

1. Bendor

Bendor

This is my version, please comment if you think there are ways to improve it.

1.2 liter spaghetti container
    20mm bulkhead about 200mm long
    attachments
    clear tubing
    small funnel
    700 lt/hr adjustable pump

Drilled lid and installed bulkhead with 90 degree angle and to attach to pump
    Cut funnel to fit bottom of container and connect the two with clear tubing.

I am attempting to avoid any floss or technically difficult components like perfect fitting round membrane to rest the media on top of.
    The upside down funnel fits snug onto the bottom of the container but allows water to flow underneath it form inside out quite easily. The media will settle in this valley between the side of the container and the angled side of the funnel at exactly the point where the flow will occur. The flow from inside to outside will hopefully prevent large amounts of media getting in under the funnel and the circumferential valley around the edge of the funnel will direct the media back to the area of flow due to gravity.

Hopefully this won't fail miserably but I cannot test yet as my lfs has not received it's shipment of GFH yet.

[​IMG]

I cut the funnel until it fit the bottom of the container.
    [​IMG]

Instead of a single outflow I decided to do multiple smaller outflows. The whole unit will be submersed and leaking is not an issue. I will increase the amount of small outflow holes and decrease the amount of flow from the pump until I have the desired minimal movement of media with no escape of media out of the container. This will hopefully prevent the need of any kind of floss of straining device with no build up of organic material in the reactor at all.
    [​IMG]

I will update after testing with media.

Last edited: 16 Feb 2013
    Bonehead likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

very cool!!!
    just watch the pressure of the water doesnt pop the lid off, maybe add a way to keep the lid fastened to the chamber

4. Bendor

Bendor Thread Starter

Thanks @dallasg

I haven't added it yet but there are some ridges below the lid that will hold a circumferential cable tie nicely. I will then run another two cable tie trains across the top at 90 degrees to hold the lid fast after all testing. I love cable ties!!!!

I looked for a screw on or side clamp lid but couldn't find any. If it's a problem or if I find one in future it should be a quick exchange.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  5. dallasg

westpac keeps the ones you looking for, R50 for 3 i think, well if i see any i will get and send you one

6. Bendor

Bendor Thread Starter

Thanks dallas!! That's very kind of you. Definitely a better option. Just working with what I've got at the moment. Good luck with your build, I see things are coming along nicely. I'm wondering how you are going to control temps in your new wendy house but I'll ask on your thread.

7. dallasg

going there tomorrow so will look
    anytime :thumbup:

Recent Posts