Ben Lloyd - newbie - multiple questions

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Ben - I created this thread for you. Please post all your multiple/different questions here for us to answer them?

Here's the first question:
[Ben] wee man i need help how deep can i make my tank 1.2m

Deep? is this top to bottom or front to back?

my choice would be 1.2*800w*500h

nothing complicated man;)
you are at the right place, we already went threw the bad experience to help you on a smooth road.

the specs mek gave you is real nice.
don't go deeper than 500mm, then you will need more intense light to get it to the bottom of the tank

a,m looking at fish and reef but it looks a complicated
:(

Ben,
As has been suggested a deep tank is not only difficult to work on, my tank was 760 deep and was a real SOAB to work with, it also requires more powerful lighting to keep the light intensity, i would go for 1.2ml x 1mw x 700 deep.

As for it being complicated, it really isn't, have a good read of the link in my sig, then fire all the questions that arise, it's easier than you think.

my space is 7m/3m dut leave room for a small dar

Ok Ben, just re-read you original post, i have a question though, do you have an endless amount of money? i have seen a very well built reef of around 4m x 1mh x 1.2md - that looked fantastic but cost around £20,000 GBP to install and costs around £300GBP a month to run, now if you translate that into rand, it will give you some idea of what you are getting in to.

The thickness of the glass has nothing to do with what you keep in the tank but the amount of water it holds.

I definitely agree - whatever size tank you are actually looking for, and whatever the glass should be, I agree with the statements that the tank should be MUCH wider, front to back, than high (top to bottom)....
You can do MUCH more and create a MUCH more natural looking aquascape with the rocks, giving the fish more hiding spaces (they stress too much if they do not have enough hinding places), than otherwise...

Back
Top Bottom