Beginning of my New Reef Tank

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by sout, 23 Feb 2011.

1. sout

sout

Hi Guys and Gals

I am new to the forum and said that i would put up some pics as i go along in starting my Reef tank.

Here are a few pics, will be getting some of the equipment this weekend.
    Let me know what you think and what i should get.

My Stands door and side covers are being made should have them fitted this weekend.

Front View of my cube Tank
    [​IMG]

My Sump
    [​IMG]

Overflow filtration System in my tank
    [​IMG]

Full Front view of tank
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Suhayl

Suhayl

How you plan to fit a skimmer inside that sump, to many glass panels there? You would have to fit a Durso pipe inside the overflow box. Get the correct piping and fittings for the plumbing the tank. There is allot of work ahead for you.

4. Elrond

Elrond

Sout,

What size is the Display Tank (DT) ?

Those old trickle filters aren't really used anymore, mostly for the noise factor... check the durso setup as most people (including me) use these with lots of success.

As for the sump, Suhayl is right, unless your skimmer is going to be external or you dont plan to use a skimmer? I also found that unless one uses baffels in the sump, you will end up with micro bubbles in your display which ruins the effect a bit...

Goodluck!

5. robertkukla

robertkukla

Welcome to MASA

please give some dimensions on the display tank and on the sump, the overflow on the DT will be 100 ok if you use a ball valve on you outlet plumbing so you can raise the water level on the overflow, im sure there might be a remedy to how the skimmer could fit, you will have to make some small changes to your setup but nothing to serious.
    once we have the dimentions we can give better advice on how your setup can change if need be.....

6. sout

sout Thread Starter

Not sure how everything is going to fit, the Aquarium i am getting my stuff from has built everything and gonna supply all the stuff, he has the same setup on a larger tank, but no noise.

Will be going there this weekend to see what he says, will let everyone know.

My DT is 630x630x600

Last edited: 23 Feb 2011
  7. Evo R

Evo R

:welcometomasa2:

8. rakabos

rakabos

massive overflow or is it just me

9. Evo R

Evo R

If i may ask why did you make your over flow "box" so big??You are wasting valuble reef space.

10. Evo R

Evo R

LOL double posting haha

11. sout

sout Thread Starter

LOL!! Guys you asking the wrong person, i had it built like that, and according to the guy that built it for me, Benoni aquariums, he designs his tanks and sumps so that they have as little maintenance as possible. I have no clue, still a crawling, not walking yet, when it comes to marine tanks.

Awesome guy tough he is coming to my place and installing everything as it gets along.

12. rakabos

rakabos

Ok so let us tell u then - the overflow is oversized. It takes up space that can be used for the display ;)

13. Evo R

Evo R

I agree and have him fix it as soon as possible before it becomes too late.A small square box overflow will be more than adiqaute and you'll gain atleast 20ltrs in your DT.

14. Suhayl

Suhayl

Who the hell built this tank, the lfs should wake up. Let someone help you on the forum going back to the drawing board. Redesign the overflow box and the sump and ask advise on what equipment to get otherwise you going to go downhill all the way.

15. Evo R

Evo R

Thats if im judging the size of your overflow correctly and my maths are not wrong.:p

16. rakabos

rakabos

Look the tank will function as is, but certainly not a very good design at all

17. Evo R

Evo R

Bud remember we are not K@king on your head,we are trying to help you because all of us are part of the MASA family.

And remember that 99% of petshops ect see you and me and the next guy only as walking ATM's who they must try and milk as hard as they can!!

Where as we here at MASA are not making a cent out of you...only trying to help.

Think about that,and if you ever are in doubt...ask the MASA comunity because there will always be somebody that will be able to help you and very soon you'll be helping other new noobs who joined the best hobby on earth.

Last edited: 23 Feb 2011
  18. Suhayl

Suhayl

Ahh you got from Clifford that guy a grandad of reefkeepers, a bit old school yes. Im sure if he helps you setup you in good hands. Good luck with your tank.

19. THE ANIMAL

THE ANIMAL

:welcometomasa2: TO MASA
    Sout!!!
    You can listen to the guys on this site. All or most of them have walk the walk.
    First and most important is to get you sump right that over and under flow is old, old school. It will work like that for now but in the long run you will have problems, so rather do it right the first time. This will save you heartake and money.Go for a DSB look at the thread dsb! The overflow box I will leaf like that. The hole is all-ready in the bottom

20. crispin

crispin

hey sout, welcome to masa and the wonderful world of marines :)

i must confess that set up looks a little old school with trickle filters and the sump doesnt look like it will take a decent sized skimmer. Personally id look at changing the overflow and sump now before there is water in it.

nice tank though and looking forward to seeing you start off:)

21. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

If I haven't welcomed you yet, welcome to MASA. Read the link in my signature - it will help you understand the basics on starting a marine tank.
    I agree with the guys - sump is stupid :p

Recent Posts