Beginning of my dream hopefully

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by RynoParsons, 17 Oct 2012.

1. RynoParsons

RynoParsons

So this is the tank i want to convert into marine. im getting 2XMH units end of the month im wondering must i use a sump or can i use my canister? Also what skimmers ect will b e okay for my tank? im on a very low budget? [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

A sump is preferable as it allows you to hide away all the ugly equipment. Best is to get that tank drilled and get a small sump. You can still use the canister filter for stuff like carbon phosphate remover and some other forms of chemical filtration.

4. RynoParsons

RynoParsons Thread Starter

thanx the tank is already drilled ;) i feel very stupid at the moment still. i have no experience with a sump at
    all. inside the cabinet there is only space for a 2ft sump? or i will have to renovate the cabinet( cut the support in the middel of the cabinet to fit a 3ft sump?

5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

If the cabinet has a center support running from front to back you could add a second sump on the other side. A few people have done this in the past. You just make 2 X 50mm holes in the side of both sumps and through the centre support and connect them together.

6. RynoParsons

Okay cool. i can buy 2 ready made sumps for that then the one thing this tank is freashwater at the moment and its open top. the water temp goes up to 29 during the day its way to warm? i will also be scouting the forum for 2nd hand equipment to start it up. im a student that begins my working careeer next year so money is very limited :) im amazed by the setup you guys have.

7. NADEEM

NADEEM

OH YEAH MAN, im so happy you here and gettig into marine. this is the rite place bru, all the help and advice you need is here.good luck, NICE TANK.

8. RynoParsons

thanx Nadeem :) yes i have a long way to go and need the worlds advice haha

9. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I will remove that central brace, and fit a steel frame inside the cabinet. Open the back, so that you can slide sump in from there.

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Good start Ryno. You will have to read up a LOT before you actually think of getting live stock. I would also investigate looking at a hang-on skimmer perhaps?

The sump definitely helps, because you put a better rated skimmer in there, as Riaan suggested.

Good luck, and post pictures, and ask questions as you go along!

11. RynoParsons

i have a hang on skimmer my friend will give me. but i think its to small? yep im readingnconstantly. ive already spent 19 hours on here reading

12. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Good on you Ryno. The hang-skimmer would work to start out. BUT - at some stage, you would most likely struggle to get the nutrients down. It is then that you would like to have had a sump with a bigger rated skimmer.

So - before you perhaps put water in the tank - perhaps you should really consider the sump route? It might put your build out by two weeks or so, but a year down the line, you will be glad.

13. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

lovley looking tank... wishing you the best of luck... a little paitience and understanding will make a great reefer out of you yet!

14. RynoParsons

thanx hey. im olny setting up in january so i have alot of time to prepare. ive read about the problems with using just canisters. i would like to use the sump method but a bit more saving up to do. maybe try that everybody gives me money for xmas instead of gifts hehe. ive lookt at the reef octopus skimmers also? ive also read that its better to get s bigger skimmer than one thats just in the limit of the tank?so i though about it and think i must get something thsts rated for atleast 800L my tanks 450L. im conserned about the deep tank because theres problems with circulation at the bottom. but some wavemakers will sort that out?

15. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

clever guy!

yep i agree on the skimmer decision.. bigger is better, im an addict lol
    as for the canister i would hang onto it.. its good for use with various chemical media and even possibly Bio Cubes for eg..

paitience and a good understanding is the key!

16. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Hi ryno,welcome......nice looking tank,hope it brings you many years of joy...in the pic you posted I just don't see any hole drilled,I hope you not talking about a standard hole on top that normally comes on some tanks for wiring etc

17. Salie

Salie

Looks very nice. You off to a good start with adding sump.

18. Marine007

Marine007

Welcome! Good looking tank you got there.

Some advice that RiaanP gave in other threads might be useful for you.
    Buy the best skimmer you can afford (second hand is fine). (Not the best there is - just the best that fits in with your finances).

If you need lights - look for a second hand T5 unit - will work well in the beginning.
    You can start out with a few SunSun wavemakers. Invest in some timer switches to switch them on and off.

For your sump you will need a return pump. Give measurements of your sump and tank and ask advice from the experts here on what size of return pump.

Then do some research on what substrate and liverock you want. Do some research on liverock scaping.

Good luck - you are going to have a great time with your marine tank!

19. Ayoob

Ayoob

That is a smart tank for a starter

Salie likes this.
  20. RynoParsons

thanx hey. there is 2 big holes drilled on each side. pvc pipe fits in perfectly

21. Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Ok and those holes are where?

Recent Posts