Beginners setup

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Charming Charl, 3 Dec 2012.

1. Charming Charl

Charming Charl

Hi Guyz….
    As some of you might know, I’m new to the MASA forum. Thus far I’m impressed with the articles, threads, ect that I read thus far.
    Now for a new thread J

So I’m thinking of having a small marine tank build for myself.

Dimensions 1.2m (L)
    400 (W)
    500 (H)

If my calculations are correct, this would be a 240 liter tank.
    Just wanting to hold livestock as a beginner and later move onto coral keeping.

Now the fun part, questionsJ
    1 How big must my sump be for this size, or capacity tank and how many divisions in the sump?
    I read that a sump should be able to run half the capacity of the main setup. Is this correct?

2 Would the sump overflows with a power outage for example?
    I read that a method to prevent this would be to install an overflow box. How exactly does this work?

3 Beside a Protein skimmer, wave maker, return pump, suitable heater, what other equipment are needed to setup this tank?
    Also what start up chemicals is required to setup this tank?

4 Can I hold livestock such as Clown fish with artificial coral before going onto real coral?

5 What are ideal beginner fish to start off with for a marine tank?

Thanx in advance for the necessary feed back and time you took to read this thread.

Kind Regards
    Charl

Last edited: 3 Dec 2012
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Welcome to the forum. :)
    Your sump can be as big or as small as you want, it all depends on where it's going, ideally you want to make it as big as you can as more water volume is better plus it can hold all of your equipment. Here is a thread to give you some ideas - BASIC Sump Design - Illustrated - Marine Aquariums South Africa

There are various ways to prevent your sump from overflowing, one is to make sure the level of the water in the sump is low enough to accommodate the water from the main tank during a power outage. Normal overflows will normally be ok for this, the biggest problem is normally the return pipe where the water enters the display tank, when the power goes out this will syphon the water out of the tank, so if it is low under the water then drill a 5mm hole slightly below the water level on the pipe, this will break the syphon and prevent a lot of water draining to the sump, you need to run some tests when doing this to make sure your sump can hold the extra water that will come down during a power outage. Here's some examples of overflows - Types of Overflows, an Illustrated Guide - Marine Aquariums South Africa

That's about all you need. Also considers lights and an RO unit for water topups and to make your salt mixture.

Yes that's fine.

This is not an easy question to answer as there are so many for you to choose from, but I would highly recommend you visit a few pet shops and write down the names of the fish you like, then come back and do some research on the internet or ask the guys here about the suitability of the fish. Some are incompatible with each other and will fight to the death, like different types of some clownfish do; some fish are just plain unsuitable for aquariums due to their size or behaviour etc. So it's always best to ask first.

Best of luck with your new tank and don't forget to ask as many questions as you want. :)

4. Charming Charl

Charming Charl Thread Starter

Hi buddy thanx for the reply.
    Sure appreciate the info and attached links.
    Helped alot

5. Mouse

Mouse

Hello Mr Charming, welcome to MASA and marines.

Good luck with the journey, keep us posted as to how it's all coming together....

6. mornewil

mornewil Morne

:welcometomasa2:

7. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

9. Lobster

Lobster

masahello
    a chiller to keep your water at 26 deg in summer.

10. Charming Charl

Thanx guyz for the Welcome posts and advice offered :)

11. Charming Charl

Hi Guyz. how you all doing?

So I been browsing on the forum and read the basic sump designs and filtration articles.

Majority of the basic sump designs has 3 chambers. First chamber for the protein skimmer. Second for the substrate and third for the heater and return pump together with R/O unit.

My question now is, what substarte can one use when housing maine fish only?

Also I seen some sump designs where there are four chambers, one filled with live rock. What is the purpose of the live rock in sump? Is it benefial for livestock only marine tanks or coral marine tanks?

Regards
    Charl

12. Lobster

Lobster

13. Salie

Salie

masahello

14. Zombie_CT

Zombie_CT

Hi and WELCOME,
    glad to see you have doing some reading and asking question, it makes thing easy.

If you do not have a tank and the equipemt yet, I have one that I will sell that is about the dimentions you are talking about, mine is 1270 long x 520 wide x 610 high - outer meassurements, there is a cabinet, sump,up-lift pump,skimmer and a few other bits laying around.
    Here is a link - where you can see the tank:
    http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/showthread.php?t=38265

Last edited: 8 Dec 2012
  15. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Welcome

You def want to go wider than 400. 500 - 600 is much easier to scape

Not saying 400 wont work just wider is easier and has more options

16. Charming Charl

Hi all, hope everyone doing well...?

Thanx for all the replies.

So new question and dimension, Im now thinking of going bigger.... 1.3m (L) x 500 (W) x 500 (H).
    This would then be a 325 liter tank.

Question now, where to obtain 350 liters water to fill this tank? Is it wise to collect water from the ocean and fill the tank or should I make my own salt water?

The risk Im thinking of collecting water from the ocean, introduction of bad bacteria to a new start up tank?

Looking forward to the replies.... Keep well :)

17. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

Nothing wrong with using sea water, just make sure it's from a clean source. Two oceans water is fine and also means you don't have to carry buckets of water up the beach.
    I still prefer good quality salt mix though, that way I know exactly what is going into my tank.

Recent Posts