Beginners salt water aquarium

Discussion in 'Anything DIY Related' started by dewie23, 28 Dec 2011.

1. dewie23

dewie23

hey
    I need help.
    I want to start with a salt water aquarium and want to build it myself as a nice project for me and the lady. the size of the tank will be 2m/1m/1m with a glass thickness of 30mm. so this has to be strong but that's not what I'm worried about. what do you need to get a nice salt water aquarium up and running except for fish lol. what will be the correct water temp, lighting, stuff inside and how do you make the water salt water?? as you will see I've got no idea that's why I'm here.
    you can send me a email on dewie23@gmail.com as that would be soooooo much easier

thanks a million

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Express Reef

Express Reef

Welcome to MASA, Before you start I would recomend to go through all the DIY stuff... Rember a reef tank is not only the display, you have to a sump and a overflow, return pumps, wave makers/power heads, CHILLER>>> dont start such a big tank without a chiller trust me, I`m batteling with high temps... The salt you buy at a LFS, the salinity must me 1.025... Would recoment to speek to some of the moderators like Viper or Riaan P ;-)

The best advice is.... TAKE IT SLOWLY... learned this the hard way.... Remember bad thinghs happen FAST and good things takes time...

Cheers

4. dewie23

dewie23 Thread Starter

thank you

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That is going to cost a lot, weigh a lot and be impossible to work in without goggles and snorkel.

1M deep is do-able. But you will find it extremely difficult to work in.

Costs will be high, as lightning needs to be 400W MH is you plan to have corals. Unless you can really put in a lot of liverock so that you can still place the high light dependant corals very high. Andf a live rock stack of .8m high is a lot of rock.

But a tank of .8m high is easier to work with, cheaper etc...

See you are in Pretoria
    Rather visit Pet Stop or Dorry Pets, both are sponsors. Both have a big display. (OK Dorry is still a work in progress)

6. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Rather edit your post and remove your E-mail account. Do not want to be spammed.
    And a lot easier is other members can see previous replies and comments. Can then build up to something that can work.

7. dewie23

dewie23 Thread Starter

thanks Riaan
    Youve helped me alot thank you

8. Express Reef

Express Reef

Think you are going to need a bigggg skimer for taht tank.... try build a scrubber 2

9. Relborg

Relborg

dude welcome

from one newbie to another - Research everything as you can never know too much and remember everyone has an opinion but not everyone is right

10. erratiC

erratiC

Oi, baby steps man!

@dewie23, I suggest you read a bit in the beginners section before you start buying things.. this hobby can get quite expensive if you don't know what to do properly the first time.

Welcome man :)

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  11. dewie23

dewie23 Thread Starter

I was at Direthy pets's website, seems to be expensive to build a salt water tank. any other thoughts and what would a beginners aquarium more or less cost me?

12. Express Reef

Express Reef

I started 7 weeks ago and yes, EXPENSIVE... My start up system is 1200 x 600 x 600 sump 900 x 400 x 400, spend like R25000.00, The LFS will try to screw you, so do your home work... like me learnedf the hard way... bought a kalk stirer @R2800.00 before buying a chiller... :eek: now i`m broke and have temp issues....

13. dewie23

dewie23 Thread Starter

something tells me this must rather wait as we just bought a house. i thought everything would come down to a max of R5 000 which wouldve been acceptable, hard but acceptable haha. guess boring freshwater fish would be the way to go then??

14. erratiC

erratiC

I suggest you go to your LFS or even post in the sponsors section and ask someone to help you out by giving you a quote.

You would have to decide on the size and then go from there.

15. Tremayn

Tremayn

the glass for your tank would cost way more than R5000 alone lol.. You could buy a smaller tank and build it up slowly.. Check the for sale section out and read a lot so you know what you want and whats required of you..

dewie23 likes this.
  16. Express Reef

Express Reef

There is a few nice cubes in the for sale area... lot of people start with a cube...:peroni::thumbup:

17. dewie23

dewie23 Thread Starter

thanks for the advice guys, hope you have a good day and enjoy the new year

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

On a 1.2, it depends, you can start up with the basics. Then build up from that. Anyway for 5000, rather check out the for sale forum. Second hand tanks are a lot cheaper than brand new.

Starting, learning, I would go for a tank between 250 and 500L. 250 is nice because a water change is only one drum. 500L is 2 drums that you can carry together. Above 500L and everything get exponentially more expensive.

Also, certain things you can always upgrade. Use 2 or 3 Sun sun 5000L/h pumps. And if you are still into this hobby after 6 months, and really want to expand. Then look into replacing them with Vortech or similar.

Your first car surely was not a S-class Mercedes or even a Rolls Royce.

Last edited: 28 Dec 2011
  19. belindamotion

belindamotion Google Master

Welcome to MASA...:thumbup:
    Here is a Link you can go thru...
    Starting a Marine tank - What to buy first - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    it doesn't contain everything, but at least there is a lot of Links and Posts you can go thru and get an idea...I'm sitting with a Nano and for me she works out a bit on the pricey side sometimes...:p..but, for experience...a bit of temp problem...so overall I'll say go a bit larger...hmmmm maybe 150L DT(display tank)...I agree...cubes are nice...I'm planning a 650mm x650mm x550mm...light's shouldn't be a problem as you get them in "standard" sizes...60cm is perfect...then again....LED's are also now readily available in the size....:thumbup:...and that sorts out the "heat factor"...to a degree...obviously depends on where you say...:)
    Having a "medium" size Tank won't be so "expensive"...as the biggest "money gobblers" is the Saltwater...you can get 20kg of Marine Salt for R600 or R1200...depends on what you select...then you either change +-20% per week or every second week...so TRUST me...you don't really want a LARGE tank...:p

What also gobbles the money is all the Test Kits you have to buy...and you HAVE to buy them as it's now you'r responsibility to ensure that you'r Livestock is "living" in good quality water...some Test's to test weekly...some every other day...some twise a month...usually a Kit holds about 60 tests...you probably going to be testing about 5-8 stuff...depending on you'r water maintaining...
    What to test for and why - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
    Then you will probably be adding additives to you'r Tank...after you do water changes and Teasts...if Calcium is low...you would add Calcium...if Alkalinity is low...you would add for that...etc...they can be pricey...again depending on what you buy....
    Start-up would set you back...especially getting a DECENT Skimmer for you'r set-up...the bigger you go...wow...lets just say that that R5000 estimate you had there wouldn't even cover the Skimmer cost for that Tank size...:p...you need Substrate, Life Rock, Filters...bio balls, ceramic rings...if you go that route...or only Live Rock..if you go the other way...:p...really have to do some homework first...there is so many things that add up, but I'll be writting an Essay...so read, read, read...:p

20. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, hope you enjoy it here. If you want to know the basics on filtration, lights, the nitrogen cycle, etc - then read the link below in my signature on starting a marine tank - awesome info for beginners ;)

Recent Posts