Beginners luck

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Renegado, 19 Jan 2012.

1. Renegado

Renegado

Hey all,
    Seems someone up high wants me to get a marine tank... I met a guy who got a Boyu nano tank and didn’t want it, and as he didn’t know anything about fish, he was selling it at an unreal price..

So now I got a black 32l Boyu MT40! I'm so blessed to have found the deal.. It has 4 chambers at the back, with the last one housing the pump (550l/h), a “18W” light that says 6400k on it, (means little to me) it also has 2 fans over the chambers. Everything is in great condition and works.
    @dallasg has already helped me so much by giving me a 18l Jebo tank that I'm planning a shrimp for.. But although I had a tank already, I snatched the chance, spent the money and went for the bigger tank, thinking I can keep a little fish now too :)

Here is a link with the tank's specs; http://www.boyu.us/eng/aquarium-kit/MT_40.htm
    I like pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not planning on keeping those sponges in there don't worry

I took the whole hood apart- partly to clean out dust, partly ‘cause I was curious about how it worked and mostly because I like taking things apart :p here is what is says on the light
    [​IMG]
    Here it is put together again-
    [​IMG]

Better stop taking pics, as somebody is hungry.. My little friend for 7 years :)
    [​IMG]

I understand the very basics of salt tanks, except lighting for corals. If you guys could help me with specific info on the most cost effective way to upgrade the lighting for some easy beginner corals? What exactly would you do, if it was your tank and your passion for fish had to share finances with your passion for horses? :whistling:

What is the best thing to do with the chambers at the back?

Thanks for reading :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Off to a good start. See you on Saterday:biggrin: All the guys will be their. You will get so much info so remember to bring a note pad. :thumbup:

4. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

nice little tank. Enjoy

Just a note, smaller tanks are more difficult to keep stable, so do not over stock or over feed.

5. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

hey thats great news!!!
    you can still use those filter pads i gave you on this tank, they will all help
    blue in the first compartment with black ones
    then can use the others everywhere else
    whats in the compartment with the black sponge? ceramic rings?

6. Toolboysa

Toolboysa Moderator

Nice

7. Renegado

Renegado Thread Starter

Haha just wait for me to get my drivers, it's in a few months, I can't mention fish before my parents anymore :whistling:

So I hear.. I intend to take it really slow, and with the advice on here, I think it'll be ok :)

@dallasg, there is 4 sponge pieces in the 2nd one completely filling it up, the tank came with to little packets of bits of rock stuff, and then bioballs that everybody says to throw out..

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  8. dallasg

move the black sponges to the first compartment, keep these clean by cleaning weekly
    then put the other sponges in the second compartment, dont block completely, maybe a piece of each half the size so not to block the flow throught the filter, then bio-balls in the 3rd compartment

in that size tank they wont be to much issue, there biological growing area will be needed, you can deal with the nitrates by using Orca bio-cubes and water changes

9. Renegado

Renegado Thread Starter

Ok will do so :) but it didn't come with many of the bioballs- do I have enough? There are a lot more rocks
    [​IMG]

10. dallasg

those will be fine, there goal is to host the nitrifying bacteria to convert ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate

the nitrates will be removed by the nitrate sponge, also the new bio-cubes work wonders for these tanks. they supply a media for the bacteria that convert nitrate and phosphates

11. Renegado

Renegado Thread Starter

12. dallasg

yes thats it

i have some and will use in my office nano, but gotta finish my home tank first :)

Recent Posts