Beginners Info Overload

Discussion in 'Forum Suggestions and Feedback' started by FransSny, 25 Sep 2009.

1. FransSny

FransSny

Yesterday two reefers visited my house and while discussing marines in general the forum came up.

They mentioned to me when just starting out they preferred the other forum to MASA due to the fact that the advice / information given for beginners was more "user friendly" and easier to understand.Thus they hung out on that forum more.

I am also a user on both forums but prefer MASA as it is more "active" and thus gives me an opportunity to learn more but I do think they brought up a valid point and think maybe the more experienced reffers (including myself) should keep in mind that the new guys dont know all the "buzzwords", acronyms etc when we answer their questions or give advice

Just a thought :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. chikaboo

chikaboo

Very good point Frans - take a look at my replies - all of them contain no such high society level 5 words because I know how it made me feel when I joined - I think before replying one should definately look at how experienced a member is and dont feel bad explain something like you talking to totally noob! I too hang out on other forums but dont like the way they chat about fellow reefers so dont contribute much on other forum - mostly there for bargains! So guys lets think before we reply to a noob coz sometimes they scare to make it they dont understand some lingo here!

4. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

i agree with you frans.i was so confused when i joined masa with things like no2,no3,ph ect.i eventualy figured everything out.i was thinking if someone could maybe draw up a graph of maybe water parr firstly.
    maybe like

ph - what it is and what it should be
    nh3 ammonia 0.0ppm
    no2 nitrites 0.0ppm
    n03 nitrates less than 25ppm ect ect.

this will help alot of us im shure.

5. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

i am glad there are other guys who also experienced this problem. i got a little booklet from Tetra (I think) explaining everything in plain language...and still had to refer back every now and again.

Maybe she should do a similar "guide' (reefkeeping for dummies type thing). If I can get contributions I am more than willing to put it into an e-book format which beginners can save, print etc for future reference

6. Tony

Tony

I've found on the other hand the guys on the other forum to be more impatient with newbies. Cant we ask viper to attach explanations to the difficuilt (to newbies at least) terms like we do when things like "skimmers" or "CARX" pop up. So when a guys finds something like "NO3" a little pop up will explain what this is and where it fits in the big scheme of things

7. Jaak

Jaak

8. Slummies

Slummies

hey guys. since im a newbie. let me tell you what i think..

in terms of using marine terms.. i dont think its a bad idea. it gives the newbie a chance to google it and find out WAY more info.. people are lazy to open google.. they should do it.

however, what hacks me off is when you say something and everyone is down your throat.. really silly.

lets have grace with each other..

9. neo

neo

Hi,
    as a total newby to marines and aquariums I found the info on masa to be good and not at all to much/complicated, must add that I tend to over-analize things so I usualy break the info down into smaller part and go figure out each part before continuing to the next level - just me.
    What I do have a problem with is finding info on masa - the info is there but searching for it is a problem i.e. looking for info on 'cls' i cant use 'cls' in the search string and typing 'close loop system' returns a crap-load of results unrelated to 'cls', having a thread/links of all the basics for easy access would be good.

10. chikaboo

chikaboo

Hey there Tony isnt there something like this - I know my funny and wiered words have this "pop-up" explainations - they are highlighted and if you move the mouse over them and explanation comes up

11. magman

magman

I do owe everything I have learnt from the forums, I am indebited. I did start on the other forum, until I got blasted on there for putting seven fish in my tank at once, the person who blasted me, must of thought I had just bought the tank because I had only made a few posts prior and judged me buy the number of posts I had made, they had obviously thought I had just come back from the LFS with a tank and fish. Is what the person did not know, is 1) how big my tank is, 2) how long it had been running, and 3) how many fish I had taken out the day before.

I think people do definatly need to change the tone in the way we all offer advise, especially to newbs.

I am thinking now, another stand we must push towards, is that the lfs help newbs more, by selling cured rock, active sand etc, because no matter what we do, we will not stop them selling things like nemmies to starters in the first week of buying a tank. Rather if somebody wants to start up, they should buy all LR etc that has cycled from one set up from the LFS. If we see an LFS doing this, we promote them on the forum.

I have found MASA is much faster to load, and I do look and make the odd post on the other forum, but think both are great for learning.

12. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Guys, we did a "Sticky" on water parameters.
    Check it out
    Ideal Water Parameters - Water Parameters

13. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

thanks Mekaeel thats great info there:thumbup:

14. Tony

Tony

I'm not sure Chika. I've never paid too much attention but I will look now that I'm aware of it

15. davidfr7

davidfr7

I started my tank because of MASA, my tank is now cycling. All that you need to know is here and there are people that help you. You either go through all the threads and read and if you don't find it you ask.

The good thing is it is always up for discussion were you can get every ones point of view

IT's a good place to share a thought

16. Tony

Tony

Chicka, I just tried looking at some of the acronyms and they don't highlight.

17. crispin

crispin

there is a data base of the acronyms which i found very useful to start.

18. FransSny

FransSny Thread Starter

All the info is there guys...I was just thinking of combining it in one place for new guys to access instead of having to read through a lot of different threads

Just a thought

19. chikaboo

chikaboo

hey there Tony - see this post of yours - if I point my mouse over the word "CARX" then a pop up comes up with an explaination

I know this is there but how does one get quickly to a "sticky"? I normally remember a word from the thing I'm looking then put it in the search box then have to go through a few threads untill I find the thread title then read what I want - BTW - this sticky I asked for a temperature window parameter and viper was kind enough to respond but now for a newbie that reads the first post will not see it there - they will have to go all the way down to get the temp parameters - can some mod please add it in the first post:thumbup: Thank You

20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Mekaeel has highlighted that thread.:)

The format is there, there are a few words that have been done already See here but it is nowhere near finished, we did ask for help on this but nobody offered their assistance or helped out with a couple of small explanations so I will have to do it all myself....one day when I can find the time.

Some good info in that thread, thanks Jaak, I think we need to combine that info with the Water Parameters thread.

Please use the Google Search box near the top right of the home page, if you enter CLS into that you will find all the info you need.:)

Lots to be done still Tony, I just can't find the time to do it all, my time is so limited as it is that I am only reading threads in the Private Forum and the Feedback forum and perhaps 1 or 2 normal threads a day, there is just so much to be done that I don't know where to start :p

Keep thinking please....let's work on something. :thumbup:

As Frans said, all the info is there, the google search box so that you can search for 2 or 3 lettered words like T5 or CLS, there are stickied thread in the relevant forums, members just need to look around the forum a bit more. Perhaps the forum page is a bit too much, should we maybe condense/merge some of the forum categories?

21. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Yes, sorry, I was going to do that but forgot.

Guys, please, if something needs to be done please bump the thread or send a PM to me telling me to wake the hell up and do it :p Things get forgotten or missed so quickly, do not think you are being ignored, reminders need to be done regularly, the mod team is getting old and our memory banks are slowly failing as age creeps up on us.:lol:

Recent Posts